Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Dec 3, 2008, 2:08 PM   #1

This shot suits my melancholic mood these days. I get like this every December when the sun is a rare visitor and colours are few in these parts of the world ...

Camera: Olympus Camedia C-3000 / 3.3 Mp / 3x optical zoom = 31mm - 96mm equiv.

Scene from Southern Norway, near Fredrikstad.It has been foggyall night and the morning sun is trying to break up themist, creating a rather strange and muffledatmosphere.

)

Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 3, 2008, 2:53 PM   #2

I quite liked the atmosphere you captured and also explained....melancholicto you,even soothing to me; ) But it is the whiteness of the boat on the left bottom corner which I find somewhat distracting.
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2008, 2:40 AM   #3

Thanks for answering,bahadir - so, what do you suggest I do with the all-white-boat?

Crop the picture just above ther boat? That will also remove the two red buoys that I think are crucial for the picture (gives some extra colour to an otherwise dull picture).

I do not have PhotoShop (I just might get aversion for X-mas...) and do not know how to use it anyway.

Initially I thought that this boat really gives the picture some kind of balance in composition and also increases perspective. Without the boat it seems that the dark mass of land would un-balance the composition?

Just my thoughts of why I actually included this boat in the photograph, otherwise I would have raised my camera a bit....

But I agree with your reasoning that it certainly would give the picture a morecalmer, cleanerlook -but maybea more boring one as well?

Old Dec 5, 2008, 4:50 AM   #4

Hello Walter and welcome to the forum. Beautiful photo! I did a quick edit on your photo for compairison purposes.

Bob

Last edited by bhammitt; May 9, 2009 at 6:52 AM.
bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2008, 5:56 AM   #5

Wow!

Thanks bob / bhammitt!

Incredible what you can do with the proper software-tools. And there is no trace of the boat, nor do I see any seam of where it was. How do you fill inn the void it has left, after you removed the boat? In such a manner that the gradual "getting-darker"-transition on the bottom of the frameiskept as well.

I do like the picture very much the way it is now. Looking at it in its present form,it gives me a sens of calm and peaceful serenity

Thanks again for your interest in this photo!

)
Old Dec 5, 2008, 2:14 PM   #6

Thank you Walter! I am glad you liked the edit! I think you have a beautiful image here, one that any of us would be proud to have taken! I do agree with Bahadir about the original, my eyes kept going to the boat and instead of the rest of this beautiful scene.

Bob
bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2008, 5:09 AM   #7

Walter_S wrote:
Quote:
But I agree with your reasoning that it certainly would give the picture a morecalmer, cleanerlook -but maybea more boring one as well?

Oh, not at all, at least, for the ones who love Poe's poetry: )

The white boat as a high contrast element steals a lot from 'the rest of the image' where the main theme lies.Ioften try to remember the 'simplify, simplify' motto of renaissance, to be able to eliminate the clutters in my compositions! Anyway, Bob's 'spot on' edit is a perfect remedy for my concern I had mentioned, whichmakes anyfurther verbosity obsolete

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2008, 10:35 AM   #8

I like both, with and without the boat. The moodiness is better without, but the directionality, the 'lead-in' of the prow of the boat into the picture makes it more satisfying as a composition to my eye.

Anyone among you expert photo-artists fancy toning down or recolouring the boat to make it a little less prominent? Perhaps a deep wooden finish or even some planking? It'd take me a long time, and you'd probably see the joins. I'd find it easier to find another boat.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2008, 8:35 PM   #9

actuarly i like the boat because it gave me a place to study the wonderful lighting of the shoreline structures.:|

works both ways. Agreat picture.
scooptdoo is offline   Reply With Quote