Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Oct 19, 2003, 9:21 PM   #1

Default Forest in the middle of town

Most people drive by this everyday as if it was just another building. I noticed it and wanted to take advantage of it. How often do you find a hidden forest in the middle of town?

I'm trying my hand at different types of photography. But am having trouble getting the professional polished look like I see from the experts here. Could you offer some tips/suggestions on how I can improve?

Here are a couple of pictures I took today.

Thanks
Jay
chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 21, 2003, 10:02 PM   #2

Two very nice stunners, Jay

I cannot speak for others here but I am a rank amateur when it comes to photography.

I learn quite a bit from the others here on the forum

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2003, 8:59 PM   #3

Thanks for the nice words digcamfan.

I am with you, the other members on this forum are an excellent learning tool!
Old Oct 22, 2003, 10:42 PM   #4

I donít consider myself an expert but I think I like the top one better without the bare branch in the middle. Nice pictures.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2003, 11:01 PM   #5

I also do not consider myself an expert, but I like the second picture. The first one just seems too busy at the top. The bare branches in the second photo just add a little something that I like

Funny how two people can see things completly differently. I guess that is just what makes us all unique! :lol:

Darrell
Darrell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2003, 1:33 AM   #6

I'm no expert either, but here's my opinion, for whatever it is worth :-) I like the first picture. Maybe it can be approved by crouching down and taking the shot holding the camera horizontal, instead of pointing it down? Was it taken on a bridge? Somehow the colors in the second picture feel unnatural. Is that really how it was?

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2003, 9:33 PM   #7

Quote:
I'm no expert either, but here's my opinion, for whatever it is worth I like the first picture. Maybe it can be approved by crouching down and taking the shot holding the camera horizontal, instead of pointing it down? Was it taken on a bridge? Somehow the colors in the second picture feel unnatural. Is that really how it was?
Yes the first picture was taken from a bridge. I agree with taking the shot from a lower angle. I'll go back and give it a try.

I was trying something new with the second picture. I have included the original second picture...maybe thats better?

Also included a picture from where the first picture was taken.

Thanks for the advise guys

Original secong picture (resized only)

The bridge (resized only)

Old Oct 24, 2003, 11:09 AM   #8

I notice that auto-levels in Photoshop gives very artificial looking colors similar to what you ended up with in your first image. But you can sparkle it up some without getting the odd colors. Just one possible approach:

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2003, 12:14 PM   #9

It happens to all of us--we take the picture, and then only after the fact do we notice how the land, horizon, person, or whatever seems to be leaning a little to the left or right. This is the case with your second photo, which needs to be rotated very slightly clockwise.

Keep at it. Technical issues aren't the same as having a good eye for a picture, which you happen to have.

--Barbara
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2003, 2:34 PM   #10

Good pictures and good eye for spotting the location (AND stopping!) instead of passing it by.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote