Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jan 25, 2009, 3:46 PM   #1

It seems a lot of post people put up here of late, get viewed, but no one takes the time to comment on them. I wonder if this site has fallen out of favor, or what :O

I'll try again, but I'm beginning to think its a waste of time.......:sad:

I tried to capture the effect of the sun as it shines through the forest where I live.

And a sunset from the same day.....

eddie haskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 25, 2009, 5:07 PM   #2

Eddie, I tend to agree with you. The number of people commenting has dropped to a handful and some of the categories like this one seem to get very few visits. Perhaps it is time to consolidate a few of the groups together so that the viewers and commenters are not so thinly spread.

Love the sunlight pictures by the way although it seems a shame that the subject the light is falling on is a road. I'd be tempted to take the top half of the picture and attach it to something more interesting at the bottom
malinstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2009, 5:38 PM   #3

Thanks Streak......but I like to think of the possibilities where the road might lead :shock:
Old Jan 25, 2009, 6:54 PM   #4

Hi Eddie. To be honest your sunset shots are ho hum. But those sunshine shots are spectacular. I especially like the second one with the extras deleted and a good close look at the meat of the picture. With appropriate cropping in each case each pic would be a wall hanger. As for your comment about viewers taking the time to comment is well taken and noted by others as well. Ive commented a few times. Wankers who take the time to view your work but too damn lazy to say whether they like it or not. Everyone has at least that to say......they like it or they dont. Too bad you cant make people be nice. I guess we just have to put up with them.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2009, 7:59 PM   #5

Eddie, I have to agree with Bynx and Malinstreak. I normally dont click in on landscape posts, but the title piqued my curiosity. I must say the reply "problem" is not just this forum, but in others as well, from what I've seen.

While I'm here I will compliment you on at least three of your pics, and #2 especially. The sun's rays were captured beautifully.

Robert
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2009, 2:40 AM   #6

Bynx wrote:
Quote:
....too darn lazy to say whether they like it or not. Everyone has at least that to say......they like it or they dont. Too bad you cant make people be nice. I guess we just have to put up with them.
Bynx, my friend, are you unable to imagine what this forum would be like if everyone, or even most people who viewed an image passed a comment? We would slow to a crawl, and it would take far too long to read everything that might be relevant. As many more comments would be adverse, there wouldsoon be more argument & abuse than photography.

In my view we are already swamped with hundreds of "nice shot", "Cool shot" or other 1 or 2-word replies. I myself reply to a post only when I have something specific and constructive, or especially and unusually admiring to say, AND when I am not too busy with my non-photographic life.

I have seen the traffic wax and wane over the years in most of the forums on Steve's in which I participate. When I am active in one, I am less active in another. I am often amazed when the whole of N.America seems to be abuzz with photography, and equally amazed when it seems to be asleep for days. I just wonder, and don't complain.

Not taking it upon myself to respond more often than I do does NOT amount to 'self-abuse'. Hundreds of others will feel the same. If I (or anyone else for that matter) DID participate in the manner suggested , it would amount to 'abuse' of self, family, and any life in the real world, not to mention clogging up the forums. Anyway, it's no-one else's business what I or anyone else does in their spare time.

People who are dissatisfied should look somewhere else in addition to, rather than instead of here. Relax, and come back later when things have picked up! These forums provide a wonderful service to the world, almost entirely in a courteous fashion, and I'd like it to stay that way.

Eddie, your pictures are very beautiful, and your capture of the rays of sunshine is technically and artistically perfect. I didn't tell you so, not because I didn't appreciate them, but because it was gloriously self-evident to everyone.You already knew that, didn't you? I disagree with malinstreak, and Ilike the road as a screen to receive the light. It adds a sense of mystery - what it is round the corner over the hill?

If I replied in that fashion to every image round here that I liked, or even just a few, I would have become a sad photo-nerd.

Just look back through some of the previous pages of this 'Landscape' forum. You don't have to go very far to find good discussion, and it'll come back here. Forum traffic is exactly like vehicles on freeways, and like lifeblood - just the right amount flowing correctly is desirable, but sometimes it causes aggravation when it aggregates and clots.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2009, 5:28 AM   #7

Hi Eddie, I like your photos and am sorry I don't take the time to comment on all that I hop onto. I too have experienced this on the posts I submit. We have to realize that there are more "Non" members viewing which creates alot of traffic that aren't able to comment.

I don't think your post is the place to vent though. You asked a simple question and got a load.

Mandy
jeephotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2009, 7:19 AM   #8

I hope you have come back to read this Alan. I agree with everything you said. But I think we are talking about a photo which has been submitted and viewed by a hundred people and not one comment. I think that would make anyone wonder whats wrong with it. I think the first people to view a photo when its first uploaded should say something, especially if there are no comments at all. We arent talking about everyone commenting, just the few who first see it. Then people can either agree or disagree with the comments based on their point of view. I find I dont comment much any more. I see too much mediocre stuff that doesnt deserve comment. The good stuff is usually commented on already so repetition on my part is not necessary as long as I agree with those comments. So its down to the really good stuff which I often still find worth a word or two. Eddies submissions are never mediocre and always worth a look even though I might not comment every time. So in summation, its not a matter of everyone commenting, but it is a matter of no one commenting. And I dont know why I was picked out here. I was only agreeing with others on the comment made by Eddie. But glad you noticed me. On a last note, Im sure you notice I like to shake the tree from time to time to see what nuts fall out. Not saying you are a nut by any means. You know I think very highly of you and cherish our friendship. But I think what I said got a response from you. A couple of responses is enough to keep Eddie and the rest of us happy.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 7:46 AM   #9

Did I start a fire......should I take a picture of one and post it? :O

Well, speaking solely for me, I post because I desire the feedback as the amateur of a year-plus I am. Sure, I like to hear I got it right, but in doing that, I'd love to hear why I got it right. Also, when I miss, I love to hear why....that info is more valuable as a tool in my learning.

I don't weigh in on every post I view only because I feel I have nothing to offer. I might echo someone sentiments of a previous person when I'm so moved by a frame, but anything else by me is pretty much of no value.

Sorry, didn't wanna start any problems, I was just concerned......
Old Jan 26, 2009, 10:09 AM   #10

To be honest Eddie you have a good eye for photography and most of your shots are quite good. Having said that if you want comments, I guess you should be expected to give some as well. You say you have nothing to offer. I strongly disagree with that. You have a lot to offer. All your good shots are not a matter of luck are they? So use what you know and help others who are struggling to get their lens cap off. I think everyone wants a pat on the back and Job Well Done told to them. This isnt always possible and some honesty isnt a bad thing. Ive been kinda brutal on a few recent posts because comments were asked on shots that were just not worth talking about, in my opinion. Everyone has eyes to see with and should know a good shot from a bad shot. The only reason I commented was in reaction to your initial remark. It sounded like you were going to move on if there was no reaction to your posts. As Alan said, just bare with things. There is an ebb and flow and constant change in people here. Another thing to consider is your work is consistantly good and deserves no comment. People might feel they keep saying the same thing....Good shot Eddie. Thats something to think about. Meanwhile keep on doing what youre doing. Youre doing it well.
Bynx