Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Feb 14, 2009, 3:58 PM   #1

We have put vases on our graves for thousands of years...and have been producing our wine since Silenus taught Dionysus how to make itbeyondsome hills, mountainsand many a lifetime you see behind!

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 14, 2009, 7:54 PM   #2

an interesting tradition, Bahadir... what's the symbolism of the vase on the grave? lovely golden light in this image... nicely captured!
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2009, 3:51 AM   #3

Ah yes arkadas, Dionysus (God Of Wine) the most important of the nature gods, nice shot my friend it also looks like we have the same look even at our cemeteries, you know it is also known Dionysus born under fire, also had fire in his veins like his father Zeus
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2009, 2:42 PM   #4

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
an interesting tradition, Bahadir... what's the symbolism of the vase on the grave? lovely golden light in this image... nicely captured!
Thank you! Actually, the traditionwhichwas meant asoffering tothe deceased, goes back even earlierthan the start of antiquity...They would put wine or oil in them, but now often water!As it would be improper to check what it is within, I can't be very sure however; )On my part, I still pourthe first sip of wine to the ground as libation!
Old Feb 15, 2009, 2:43 PM   #5

hercules wrote:
Quote:
Ah yes arkadas, Dionysus (God Of Wine) the most important of the nature gods, nice shot my friend it also looks like we have the same look even at our cemeteries, you know it is also known Dionysus born under fire, also had fire in his veins like his father Zeus
As for your having the same look at your cemeteries; no wonderarkadaƟ :-)

Ah, fathers and their sins...:-)Youmight remember a 'Zeus Cave' I posted a small reminder of which you see below...makesproper privicyagainst Hera, so as to meet a mortal lady ; )

Old Feb 15, 2009, 4:00 PM   #6

bahadir wrote:
Quote:
hercules wrote:
Quote:
As for your having the same look at your cemeteries; no wonderarkadaƟ :-)

Ah, fathers and their sins...:-)Youmight remember a 'Zeus Cave' I posted a small reminder of which you see below...makesproper privicyagainst Hera, so as to meet a mortal lady ; )

How can i forget those pictures of the Zeus cave where he used to go swimming with beautiful girls hiding from his jealous wife Hera, they brought a cold chills down my spine boy if there were beautiful girls in there right now that guy you see standing on the rock would be doing somersaults arkadas lol
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2009, 9:30 PM   #7
spy

Stunning cave shot!
spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2009, 2:09 AM   #8

@ Hercules: Ha ha! He makes quite a 'local' Zeus there actually :-)Thanks for yourappreciation, btw! You know, they say,onecan only live life forwards butunderstand it backwards...

@ Spy : Thank you! Actually I postedthe 'Zeus Cave'in larger size and with some imformation in Critiques and Techniques forum:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=597396&forum_id=90
Old Mar 6, 2009, 7:17 AM   #9

Very interesting photo, Bahadir.

In the first instance (just looking at the photo, before I read the description) - I thought it was a vase - and then a building down in the background. But looking closer - then I saw it was a grave. (edit: typo - I had written "grace")

As squirl said, lovely light! The contrast between orange pottery and grey stone grave is quite powerful.

The background blur is interesting... still enough in focus to give more of an idea of the setting.

Thanks for sharing!

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2009, 4:18 AM   #10

pj1974 wrote:
Quote:
Very interesting photo, Bahadir.

In the first instance (just looking at the photo, before I read the description) - I thought it was a vase - and then a building down in the background. But looking closer - then I saw it was a grace.

As squirl said, lovely light! The contrast between orange pottery and grey stone grave is quite powerful.

The background blur is interesting... still enough in focus to give more of an idea of the setting...
Dear Paul, I am, once again, delighted to readthe your'stream of consciousness'heading through and beyond the signifiers...The picture was shot in thecemetery of alovely village (next to my father's)where they stillproduce their own wine and raki (though the'political party in power'at present is tryingto hinder the latter using the EU regulations as an excuse!!)