Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Mar 9, 2009, 7:38 PM   #1

We had tornadic weather here in Kansas this past Sunday afternoon/evening. In between lulls in the storm I took this shot of the sunset where earlier a tornado was seen on the horizon. (the compression isn't doing very well with this posting). Anyways, I haven't done a whole lot of shooting at sun up/sun down so any suggestions is greatly appreciated on how to improve.

Thanks for looking.

Mandy
Attached Images

jeephotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 10, 2009, 12:58 AM   #2

Hi Mandy, Looks like you caught the weather at the right time. I grew up in Wichita Falls, Texas, so I am familiar with the weather you speak of. Those storms, if I remember correctly, lent themselves to some dramatic sunsets. I like the one you have captured, it takes me back...

I don't shoot sunsets at all, so I can't critique, yours, except to say I like it.. Robert
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2009, 6:43 AM   #3

Hawgwild wrote:
Quote:
Hi Mandy, Looks like you caught the weather at the right time. I grew up in Wichita Falls, Texas, so I am familiar with the weather you speak of. Those storms, if I remember correctly, lent themselves to some dramatic sunsets. I like the one you have captured, it takes me back...

I don't shoot sunsets at all, so I can't critique, yours, except to say I like it.. Robert
Thanks for looking and commenting. Hopefully one of these days I will figure it all out on how to capture sunsets.
Old Mar 12, 2009, 2:23 AM   #4

I liked the curve of the bank you included in your composition. Having visited yourexquisite galleries at smugmugI must, again, say I've foundthe image quality of the very picture there superior than itlookshere:?Btw, your transportation displayed there really justifies your hobby of jeeping:-)

Cheers!

Bahadır
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2009, 7:25 AM   #5

Hi Mandy

Lovely idea in the photo. Thanks for sharing. Wow, so you had some storms there, even a tornado? Is this tornado season where you are? We had a big threatening cyclone of Queensland (NE Australia)'s coast. Thankfully it did not cause much damage, as it mainly remained over the sea...

Like Bahadir, I love the curve of the bank. The colours also suggest lovely hues.

I have seen other times / examples where the jpeg compression really doesn't help bring out the best in a photo.

Did you purposely crop so tight around the tree? I feel sort of led to wonder... what did the entire tree, or just around the tree also look like.

My first advice about sunrise and sunset, is often it is important with evaluative or pattern metering, to dial a bit of UNDER exposure in (ie.. even -0.5 to -1 or more) to bring out the rich colours, because many times cameras get tricked and they OVER expose so that the colours are too light and washed out.

Hope to see more from you.

Regards

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2009, 5:24 PM   #6

bahadir wrote:
Quote:
I liked the curve of the bank you included in your composition. Having visited yourexquisite galleries at smugmugI must, again, say I've foundthe image quality of the very picture there superior than itlookshere:?Btw, your transportation displayed there really justifies your hobby of jeeping:-)

Cheers!

Bahadır
Thanks for checking out my smugmug page as well. Our mode of transportation suits us well for my photography hobby :|
Old Mar 12, 2009, 5:27 PM   #7

pj1974 wrote:
Quote:
Hi Mandy

Lovely idea in the photo. Thanks for sharing. Wow, so you had some storms there, even a tornado? Is this tornado season where you are? We had a big threatening cyclone of Queensland (NE Australia)'s coast. Thankfully it did not cause much damage, as it mainly remained over the sea...

Like Bahadir, I love the curve of the bank. The colours also suggest lovely hues.

I have seen other times / examples where the jpeg compression really doesn't help bring out the best in a photo.

Did you purposely crop so tight around the tree? I feel sort of led to wonder... what did the entire tree, or just around the tree also look like.

My first advice about sunrise and sunset, is often it is important with evaluative or pattern metering, to dial a bit of UNDER exposure in (ie.. even -0.5 to -1 or more) to bring out the rich colours, because many times cameras get tricked and they OVER expose so that the colours are too light and washed out.

Hope to see more from you.

Regards

Paul
Hi Paul, Thanks for stopping by. Unfortunately I grabbed the camera with the zoom lens attached so that is why it is so tight cropped. I was in a hurry to get back to the car because the wind started blowing and the next storm was coming upon us quick, turned around for this one last look and just shot quickly.

I will definitely try your instructions on the exposure setting. I will get it eventually I hope.

Thanks so much.