Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Mar 9, 2009, 7:38 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
jeephotog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: South Central Kansas
Posts: 1,455
Default

We had tornadic weather here in Kansas this past Sunday afternoon/evening. In between lulls in the storm I took this shot of the sunset where earlier a tornado was seen on the horizon. (the compression isn't doing very well with this posting). Anyways, I haven't done a whole lot of shooting at sun up/sun down so any suggestions is greatly appreciated on how to improve.

Thanks for looking.

Mandy
Attached Images
 
jeephotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 10, 2009, 12:58 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Hawgwild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Pensacola, Florida
Posts: 3,525
Default

Hi Mandy, Looks like you caught the weather at the right time. I grew up in Wichita Falls, Texas, so I am familiar with the weather you speak of. Those storms, if I remember correctly, lent themselves to some dramatic sunsets. I like the one you have captured, it takes me back...

I don't shoot sunsets at all, so I can't critique, yours, except to say I like it.. Robert
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2009, 6:43 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
jeephotog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: South Central Kansas
Posts: 1,455
Default

Hawgwild wrote:
Quote:
Hi Mandy, Looks like you caught the weather at the right time. I grew up in Wichita Falls, Texas, so I am familiar with the weather you speak of. Those storms, if I remember correctly, lent themselves to some dramatic sunsets. I like the one you have captured, it takes me back...

I don't shoot sunsets at all, so I can't critique, yours, except to say I like it.. Robert
Thanks for looking and commenting. Hopefully one of these days I will figure it all out on how to capture sunsets.
jeephotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2009, 2:23 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
bahadir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Izmir, Turkey
Posts: 6,263
Default

I liked the curve of the bank you included in your composition. Having visited yourexquisite galleries at smugmugI must, again, say I've foundthe image quality of the very picture there superior than itlookshere:?Btw, your transportation displayed there really justifies your hobby of jeeping:-)

Cheers!

Bahadır
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2009, 7:25 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
pj1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Posts: 2,914
Default

Hi Mandy

Lovely idea in the photo. Thanks for sharing. Wow, so you had some storms there, even a tornado? Is this tornado season where you are? We had a big threatening cyclone of Queensland (NE Australia)'s coast. Thankfully it did not cause much damage, as it mainly remained over the sea...

Like Bahadir, I love the curve of the bank. The colours also suggest lovely hues.

I have seen other times / examples where the jpeg compression really doesn't help bring out the best in a photo.

Did you purposely crop so tight around the tree? I feel sort of led to wonder... what did the entire tree, or just around the tree also look like.

My first advice about sunrise and sunset, is often it is important with evaluative or pattern metering, to dial a bit of UNDER exposure in (ie.. even -0.5 to -1 or more) to bring out the rich colours, because many times cameras get tricked and they OVER expose so that the colours are too light and washed out.

Hope to see more from you.

Regards

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2009, 5:24 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
jeephotog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: South Central Kansas
Posts: 1,455
Default

bahadir wrote:
Quote:
I liked the curve of the bank you included in your composition. Having visited yourexquisite galleries at smugmugI must, again, say I've foundthe image quality of the very picture there superior than itlookshere:?Btw, your transportation displayed there really justifies your hobby of jeeping:-)

Cheers!

Bahadır
Thanks for checking out my smugmug page as well. Our mode of transportation suits us well for my photography hobby :|
jeephotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2009, 5:27 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
jeephotog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: South Central Kansas
Posts: 1,455
Default

pj1974 wrote:
Quote:
Hi Mandy

Lovely idea in the photo. Thanks for sharing. Wow, so you had some storms there, even a tornado? Is this tornado season where you are? We had a big threatening cyclone of Queensland (NE Australia)'s coast. Thankfully it did not cause much damage, as it mainly remained over the sea...

Like Bahadir, I love the curve of the bank. The colours also suggest lovely hues.

I have seen other times / examples where the jpeg compression really doesn't help bring out the best in a photo.

Did you purposely crop so tight around the tree? I feel sort of led to wonder... what did the entire tree, or just around the tree also look like.

My first advice about sunrise and sunset, is often it is important with evaluative or pattern metering, to dial a bit of UNDER exposure in (ie.. even -0.5 to -1 or more) to bring out the rich colours, because many times cameras get tricked and they OVER expose so that the colours are too light and washed out.

Hope to see more from you.

Regards

Paul
Hi Paul, Thanks for stopping by. Unfortunately I grabbed the camera with the zoom lens attached so that is why it is so tight cropped. I was in a hurry to get back to the car because the wind started blowing and the next storm was coming upon us quick, turned around for this one last look and just shot quickly.

I will definitely try your instructions on the exposure setting. I will get it eventually I hope.

Thanks so much.
jeephotog is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:45 AM.