Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Mar 13, 2009, 10:17 PM   #11

pj1974 wrote:
Quote:
However I also thought I'd "get rid" of the bottom (closer) crashing wave, just to see what effect that has.
Paul, this is a wonderful series of shots that makes me want even more to visit Australia. The beauty and seclusion of this beach are so inviting.

I liked your original photos, and most of the edits; however, I really liked #2 with the bottom wave included. It adds one more layer of color variation in the water that I really like.

Congratulations on a great trip.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2009, 7:26 AM   #12

pj1974 wrote:
Quote:
OK, here are two variations on the wave photo

A. Incorporating the sky from about half an hour later (when the sun was already partly below the horizon)....

While I like the additional colour / contrast - I think it maybe looks too fake - if the sky is that orange and the sun is that low, I think the wave couldn't be caught in that light.. the angle of the actual light on
Paul good edits as on this sunset picture, but would of prefered the sun starting to drift under the horizon and on your 2nd edit i wouldn't prefer the crop as the crashing wave gives it a nice foreground, anyway i tend to like this sunset edit but that is just my opinion
Attached Images

hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2009, 10:27 AM   #13

pj1974 wrote:
Quote:
B. And here is a version, with the sky closer to hercules' suggestion - a blue sky. I decided to use a sky photo from another beach I took a bit earlier on that weekend - and not have clouds - to try to give it a neutral feel (clouds can be tricky, especially again the apparently contradictory angles of the sun on wave vs on cloud). But hercules did quite a good job!

However I also thought I'd "get rid" of the bottom (closer) crashing wave, just to see what effect that has.
Dear Paul, I'd keep the bottom wave as a component of the composition, whichI believe toaddin more than one way(sequence, movement, dynamism...)
other than just a nice foreground. I should also say you needn't use a sky photo from another picture as you could recover the blue of the sky from your original. Oh, btw, I regret to saythe orange background in the first edit looks abitbackgroundpapercolour to me! It's a good idea to use awider complementary to contrastingpalette, in which casethe way Hercules did in hisedit with the drifting sun makes more sense, whichmightrequire a bit more job toassign some'hint' or 'tint'(!!)on the foregroundfrom thebackground though. Again, that's been a fruitfultread thanks to your inspiring pictures, my friend!

Bahadır
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2009, 11:53 PM   #14

Mandy

Oops, I hope my wave didn't ruin your keyboard? Remember salt water can cause rust too, it spashed on any metalic surfaces! :blah: Thanks for enjoying the photo!

Isn't it great we can all see and enjoy parts of the world by sharing in this forum!?

----------------------------

Paul,

I appreciate you sharing your opinion and the reason why. That is very helpful for me to reconsider. Yes, now that you mention it (as did Hercules and bahadir) - I can see and am providing a version (like my edit with the blue sky) here including that bottom wave too

----------------------------

Hercules

Thank you for yet another fantastic edit. You (and bahadir and others) put me to shame on your wonderful post-processing skills and using the time to do it.

I like what you've done, very good! I should visit you again to get some tips, as well as climb some of those mountains in your area and visit the wonderful Greek coastline again.. Ahh!

-------------------------------

Hi Bahadir

Thanks for your continued kind commentary, mate.

You wrote: I should also say you needn't use a sky photo from another picture as you could recover the blue of the sky from your original. I haven't yet learned how to do this... I should read more, review and upgrade my photo editing skills!

Furthermore you said: Oh, btw, I regret to saythe orange background in the first edit looks abitbackgroundpapercolour to me! Yes, that's what I also thought.

So I'm including the crude blue sky edit, with that bottom wave, with seems by consensus a good thing to keep in. Thanks again.

------------------------

regards

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2009, 11:57 PM   #15

Ok, as I mentioned - here is the wave photo with a blue sky (sorry it's not as professional done as could be... I must learn more!)

My gratitude for all your valued input.

I will now share some other photos from last weekend in another thread.

Looking forward to your comments there.

Many thanks.

Paul
Attached Images

Old Mar 15, 2009, 12:11 AM   #16

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

pj1974 wrote:

Quote:
Ok, as I mentioned - here is the wave photo with a blue sky (sorry it's not as professional done as could be... I must learn more!)

Many thanks.

Paul
Your first and last versions are the superiour ones. Very tempting image to play with though. Looking forward to further images from "the happy camper"

Perhaps a glass of fresch australian white wine. My favourite

Cheers

Torgny

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2009, 8:50 PM   #17

pj1974 wrote:
Quote:

Many thanks.

Paul
Paul, I find thisversion superior to the one with the cropped bottom waves. Such a refreshing imageofferingblues with a central turquoise blue! Still, I'd find a somewhat longer exposed lighter blue at the background would look even more complementary. I am happy to see you've posted your further pictures. I promise I'll drop a few lines there in the morningafter a few hours' decent sleep : )

Bahadır
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2009, 12:00 AM   #18

Paul,

your last edit of the surf is outstanding... love the translucent color in the cresting wave. not sure whether i prefer it with or without the "first" wave in the front, but either way it's excellent.

i also like Hercules' last edit... the color in the wave wouldn't be what it is with the sunset like that, but the overall effect is one of an ever-so-slightly different reality that i find very pleasing...

Rocky
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2009, 3:10 AM   #19

These images make me yearn for a springtimeOuter Hebridean Scottish holiday (it's nearer than Australia but still a long way by my current standards). The scenery, the waves, and even the campsite seem familiar to me.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2009, 4:19 AM   #20

Hi Torgny

Thanks for your kind further comment, my friend. I also note you have already seen my second series. It was a great weekend, I won't forget. I also appreciate many Australian white wines (come and share a drink down here sometime!) Though I must admit maybe my favourite white wine is Tokaji (a sweet white from Hungary)!

------------------------------

Bahadır

Your continued comments are always very insightful. Yes - I can see what you mean that a lighter blue as the background might also be more complementary.

---------------------------------

Rocky

Thanks for your valued feedback about the last edit of the surf. Glad you think it is outstanding... I must admit it sometimes takes me a while to see the best edit / or possibilities from an original. yes, Hercules' last edit has a great effect - we can play all day! Cheers.

------------------------------

Alan

I can just imagine your yearnings for a springtimeOuter Hebridean Scottish holiday! I have been to the Outer Hebrideas on a few occasions, I think mostly in April (yes spring) and twice had unseasonably warm weather (above 20 degrees!)

It's interesting you say the waves, and even the campsite seem familiar to me- yes I know what you mean. I found Lewis and other Islands more similar to Tasmania than South Australia - but still, often the familiarity can be very local! Thanks.

------------------

Thanks again all!!

Paul