Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Mar 20, 2009, 6:05 AM   #1
spy

I had an amazing photo moment I wanted to share. My wife and I drove 2 hours south of Calgary to Crowsnest Pass to photograph a tree for a customer. It's called the "Burmis Tree" and for weeks I planned in my head what the perfect shot would look like. As we were driving up, it was cloudy and I was disappointed that I wasn't going to get the shot I really wanted.

At about 6pm, we pulled into the spot on the side of the road where the tree has stood for over 350 years (so they say), took a couple pics and went into town for a bite to eat. We then finished at around 8pm and drove back to the tree. Very dark and still cloudy but for one single star we could see, I had some hope that conditions would be right once we got there.

The mountain in the background lit up by the cloud is the "Frank Slide", an avalanche of rock came crashing down on the town of Frank in 1903 burying everyone there.

What unfolded as we got back to the tree was amazing to say the least. I call these moments "gifts from God".

5d Mark ll, 15mm 2.8 fisheye, ISO 2000, shutter approx 30 seconds
(p.s. the camera is amazing!)
Attached Images

spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 20, 2009, 6:44 AM   #2

Hi Spy

Wow, you drove 2 hours to photograph a tree! That is determination! I've travelled about 3 hours to photograph a building, but not a tree!!

Thanks for the information on the area, very interesting. Is the Burmis tree alive? It looks dead from my guess, but maybe it's coming out of a cold Canadian winter, and is deciduous.

Excuse my ignorance, but is that an Aurora that you captured? ("northern lights")? Glad the cloud lifted. What is that city / town in the distance? Also (final question) - is the light on the rock / tree / bottom area coming from your car, or another source?

Thanks for sharing. Lovely wide view. Must've been very dark, ISO 2000 at 17 seconds, aperture 2.8 according to the EXIF!

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2009, 7:36 AM   #3

Quote:
Wow, you drove 2 hours to photograph a tree! That is determination! I've travelled about 3 hours to photograph a building, but not a tree!!
Oh,still considering an hour's drive to shoot a mountain,I feel ashamed!!

Such an absorbing imageeven at the first sight. By eachdetaillies somemystery there for the beholder... I couldalmost read the letters of a long forgotten language in the sky!Must be doubly difficult to compose in darkness, btw.

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2009, 10:44 AM   #4

Congrats. Great shot of an opportune moment.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2009, 5:43 PM   #5
spy

Firstly, thank you for all the comments!

Paul, I've been called "insane" for my determination but I am soooooo fortunate to have captured this driving this long to get here. This part of Alberta is known as the "wind capital of Canada" as the wind on a normal day is between 60 and 90 + km/hour. The shots I took this night, the wind was so strong that I had to hold the bottom of the tripod down to stop it from wanting to blow over.

The Burmis Tree is dead and the local folks have made metal braces around the base of it to hold it in place. I am parked here in a roadside pull out dedicated to the tree and the area for it's history.

The color/stars is the milky way galexy, mixed with some wispy clouds reflecting the lights from the town where the mountain is. There's a few doted towns along the small stretch of road leading to the mountain.

The light on the tree and rocks below is coming from a car on the highway behind me. I released the shutter just as the car was about to pass me.

Goggle search "Frank Slide" + "Alberta, Canada" and there is quite an historical write up of the area.

I'm meeting the customer who ordered a photo of the tree tonight....she has no idea what I captured for her!

Kevin
Old Mar 22, 2009, 11:37 PM   #6
spy

Photo #2
Attached Images

Old Mar 23, 2009, 1:42 PM   #7

The second photo is truly epic. Great work.
Gerafix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2009, 9:07 PM   #8

Those are both just amazing photographs. I think if I keep taking photographs for the rest of my life I probably won't be able to get a capture like that. Seriously. I've been through the crowsnest pass, but it's been a long time since then and I must admit I don't remember the tree. I do remember the mountain and the rockslide story.
MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2009, 7:52 AM   #9

Boy howdy.....God id good!

I think you captured a frame(s) that invoke emotions. I can't help but think anybody who views these will be stirred. It grabs your attention and invites investigation.....

Please let us know of your clients response?
eddie haskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2009, 2:17 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Kevin, firstly congratulations on the new camera you are a fortunate man!!! OK now to go on from there you really know how to use it too, recently you've been producing some of the best landscape shots we've seen on here. Have you put any in for POTD?
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote