Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Mar 22, 2009, 12:55 PM   #1

Thought I would give attaching a photo a try.

It's one of my early attempts with my Pentax K200D. I'm still learning the digital ropes so to speak.

This is a cropped version of the original.

Regards
Attached Images

bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 22, 2009, 6:52 PM   #2

Welcome to the forums, bluenose! I liked your interest in attaininga drawingperspective as well as a foreground in your capture. Yet, if youhad matched the diagonal line of the wall to the lighthouse with the left bottom cornerof the frame, and cropped off a littlefrom the right handside you'd havean ever greater impact, imo. I also think that the picture can benefit from some sharpening witha high radius, especially,which would provide some contrast as well.

Cheers!

Bahadır
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2009, 7:35 PM   #3

Thanks for your comments.

My K200D is quite a change from my old Spotmatic F as are the computer programmes for digital editing.

For now my approach is to work through the various capture modes on the camera by selecting one setting and using it for a week's worth of pictures and then on to the next setting. When I view the pictures I should be able to determine what worked and what didn't.

As for the photo editing, I am using the FastStone programme for the time being and again I am experimenting with the different ways images can be edited.

While things can be a bit overwhelming at times it is good to be getting back into photography.

Again, I thank you for taking time to pass on your comments.

Regards

Old Mar 23, 2009, 5:48 AM   #4

bluenose wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for your comments.

My K200D is quite a change from my old Spotmatic F as are the computer programmes for digital editing.

For now my approach is to work through the various capture modes on the camera by selecting one setting and using it for a week's worth of pictures and then on to the next setting. When I view the pictures I should be able to determine what worked and what didn't.

As for the photo editing, I am using the FastStone programme for the time being and again I am experimenting with the different ways images can be edited.

While things can be a bit overwhelming at times it is good to be getting back into photography.

Again, I thank you for taking time to pass on your comments.

Regards

I have aYashica Lynx 14Ewith a fabulous 1.4 lenson the shelf remaining from those good old film days : )Actually I made the transition into digital witha canon powershot andhave beenusing theK10D for ayear and half now and experienced various editing softwares, freewares, etc. FastStone is a niceone indeed with a quite handy raw converter, still I'd strongly reccommend the Photoshop which includeseverything you'll ever need!
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2009, 7:19 AM   #5

As a fellow Ontar-ari-oian Im curious where the lighthouse is. This is my version of Bahadirs suggestions.

Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2009, 8:33 AM   #6

It's the outer lighthouse at Pt. Dalhousie (St. Catharines). There is a channel out to Lake Ontarioto the left in the picture and moorings for the marina are on the right. The day I was there it was about -15 C and a strong wind.

Regards
Old Mar 23, 2009, 9:15 PM   #7

I tried to get out to the Port Dalhousie light house in the summer but I didn't want to venture down roads that looked to be off limits. Maybe try it again sometime. I spent a few weekends last summer capturing lighthouses along the shores of Lake Ontario and Lake Erie around Western NY.
MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote