Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Oct 29, 2003, 6:56 PM   #1

Default Solar storm in Cambridge, Massachusetts 10/29 4:35-4:45 PM

This was the sky in Cambridge, Massachusetts today between approximately 4:30 and 4:45 PM. Normally it would have been almost dark due to daylight savings time.

These are straight from the camera. Resized in Photoshop, borders and text added. No other editing.

Click here for the CNN story.

Joshua B is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 29, 2003, 7:22 PM   #2

Josh,
Great pics!!! Too bad it was cloudy and rainy here in New Jersey. I would have loved to have seen that in person.

Chris
Chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2003, 7:41 PM   #3

Default Skeptical

Pardon me for being skeptical, but that looks like an ordinary, abeit beautiful, sunset. I don't see anything that could be attributed to solar activity. That wouldn't be visible until after dark.

I am hoping to see something here in Oregon tonight but it has been raining and visibility may not be good.
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2003, 7:52 PM   #4

I can only say this was quite a happening in the Boston area. People were outside looking up when they'd normally be working at their desks. I spoke to a few friends in different Metro Boston locals and they all saw it. It should have been dark, dude. Instead it was a warm-colored end-of-the-day type sun. The sky was not a normal blue sky, it was almost like the color of the ocean in Jamaica. Believe me, I was shocked when a co-worker came around and told me to look out the window. Immediately I said, this is end of the day light, perfect for photography.
Old Oct 29, 2003, 9:24 PM   #5

Josh, the first pic depicts tornado weather in my part of the country - Ohio - tornado alley. The calm before the twister.

One whipped by here just a 1/4 mile away - 2 years ago. On that day, the sky was a pinkish-green. Eerie.
JanetKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2003, 12:56 AM   #6

At 4:30 PM STANDARD TIME (Daylight Savings Time ended last weekend) it is starting to get dark. However, with a partly cloudy sky as your pictures show, it is not dark. What you are seeing is the sun, which is just beyond the horizon, shining up on to the clouds. This creates a very spectacular scene as your photos show. I have seen skies like this hundreds of times. I saw a beautiful sunset last night at about the same time but it was cause by solar LIGHT, not solar storms. Aurora Borealis does not look like that. If you can cite a local news report that confirms it as solar flare activity, I will believe it. Otherwise, as I said, it is just a spectacular sunset.
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2003, 3:56 AM   #7

Josh you must have been astounded when you looked outside! I would have been...absolutely beautiful photographs...

Toria
Toria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2003, 2:55 PM   #8

Default Seattle Sunset

Here's what I saw on that day about 5:30 pm PST. sorry for the quality I shot it from an office window plus I'm a beginner. :lol:

http://www.z1photos.sunsetinseattle....co.nz/?SRC=PHP
Rizal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2003, 4:02 PM   #9

Rizal, is that an average sunset or an extraordinary one? I mean was this scene due to the sun storm?

The glow around here was unbelievable, unlike anything we'd seen before. You should have seen the tone of the buildings in the area.
Old Oct 30, 2003, 4:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua B
Rizal, is that an average sunset or an extraordinary one? I mean was this scene due to the sun storm?

The glow around here was unbelievable, unlike anything we'd seen before. You should have seen the tone of the buildings in the area.
This was definitely not a typical sunset. In fact I went out last night to try to get more pics but the sunset was average. From your photos and descriptions I wish I had noticed the light before it got dark I'm sure the light on the buildings would have been cool. I think that the sun storm had something to do with these colors, I certainly have never seen them before.

Maybe we'll get something tonight.
Rizal is offline   Reply With Quote