Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Apr 29, 2009, 2:20 AM   #1

The Engineering College at University of Missouri celebrates for a week at St. Patrick's Day, giving various demonstrations, exhibits, contests, parade, Queen selection, and formal ball. St. Patrick himself makes a brief annual appearance, beknighting engineers who exemplify engineering ethics and traditions. A real Blarney Stone, accidentally unearthed during construction processes in 1903 Is mysteriously displayed in a cloud of steam, whereupon the beknighted individuals are permitted to kiss that heavenly apparition.

As an engineering student, and again in later life I was knighted. My wife, although not herself an Engineer, had been officially supportive of Engineer's Week, and had conferred upon her the title "Lady of St. Patrick".

St. Patrick's connection with Engineers came about because a real Blarney Stone had been discovered near the MU College of Engineering building, and due to the fact that St. Patrick drove the snakes out of Ireland. It is well known that snakes are just large worms, so St. Patrick had made the first "Worm Drive", a device well established as an engineering marvel. This forever ensconced St. Patrick as the patron Saint of all Engineers.

One of the main events of Engineer's Week, at least when I was a student (1946-1950} was a gigantic beer-bust on the banks of a nearby creek. Although University rules strictly prohibit alcohol consumption at its events, or on its properties, the beer-busts were held on private property, attended by perhaps a thousand students, and there was no way the University was going to upset a tradition of that nature. Expel a thousand students, and not a few faculty members, even Deans? Never going to happen.

One of these riotous beer-busts culminated in the first-ever "Panty-Raid" in which the celebrants appeared at the spiked steel fence around a Stephens College (girl's school} dormitory and clamored for the girl's panties. In a heart-beat panties in a profusion of colors {and sizes}rained from thethe dormitory windows. One girl relinqueshed a par of green panties, probably a gift from an Engineer, as green is our patron color, and, though unnamed, she will be heralded forever as a prime example of an Engineer's mate. I was there, grabbed some panties (sans girl), and helped make history.

This is a rather long preamble to my showing you pictures of a lovely Shamrock. This plant has the odd habit of folding its three leaves into a little tent each night, then it opens at daylight and faces the morning sun. The small, white flowers also open and close. My pictures attempt to display both states of the plant. Shamrocks are traditional for display on St. Patrick's Day, and are strongly associated with the Engineering profession.

Old Engineer
Attached Images

Old Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 29, 2009, 2:23 AM   #2

Fist the closed Shamrock, now the open Shamrock.
Attached Images

Old Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote