Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jun 2, 2009, 5:08 PM   #1

Default Kalavrita.

Kalavrita is a small town found in altitude 750m, a city with many sights and historical memories. Kalavrita It is the city-symbol of freedom.
Kalavrita is a picturesque town that serves as a starting point in touring the surrounding areas. The visitor of the Kalavryta Metropolitan area is given the opportunity to admire historical and archeological sites as Ancient Loussi, Pausania’s vine-branch, the ancient town of Klitoras, the Castle of Oria, the Chelonospilia, as well as places of extraordinary natural beauty as the springs of the rivers Ladonas and Aroanios. All around Kalavryta, scattered on the slopes of Chelmos and Erymanthos,
there are 75 villages, most of them built in forests of pine and plane trees.

Just 14 kilometers from town is the Kalavrita Ski Center, said to be one of the best in Greece.
Complete with modern facilities it is a great place for skiing, snow boarding or hiking the many trails. It has seven lifts with possibility of 5.000 individuals/hour. It allocates 12 floors of total length of 20 kilometres, for all the categories. There you will find renting and sales of ski equipment, ski faculty, restaurant, bar and cafeteria.

The most amazing shrine of the Eastern Orthodox Church in Peloponese, lies not far from Kalavrita. The Mega Spileo Monastery is the oldest Greek Orthodox Monastery, built 924 m. above the sea level in 326 A.D.
The Mega Spileo Monastery has been destroyed four times. Nonetheless, the Holy Icon of Theotokos, which according to the tradition is ascribed to Luke the Evangelist, has always been saved.
The silhouettes of the monks with their long hair, full beards and erect figures testify that another way of life – the ascetic way, so different from our own reigns here.

During World War II Kalavryta became a target of the German occupation forces.
The Germans who wanted to destroy the resistance but were unable to catch or kill many of it's members decided to vent their frustration on the civilian population.
On 13 December 1943 all the male population of the town was executed by the Germans who in turn burnt all the houses and churches. A huge cross stands as a memorial of the massacre of Kalavrita on a hill above the tormented town.
Massive stone monuments have a list of the names of the dead and their ages.
On the ground is written with white stones " Peace" and "No More War".

And a picture with my son,
also on the stone monuments with the name and ages of the males that were executed had the ages of even 12 year old kids;(
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 3, 2009, 3:56 PM   #2

Nice photos to go with your history and geography lesson. Thanks for sharing both.
A. C.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2009, 11:05 AM   #3

They say an elavation about 800m is good for health. So, I think enjoying there at least for a few weeks trying different routes for hiking and feeding on local food, etc! would do a world of good ; ) After all I'm not crazy about night clubs and discos!! Just a cozy pub or a cafe (but our kind of, you know, where folks sit almost all day as city dwellers say ) under plane trees near the old railway station would be fine...(btw, I find myself lucky to have experienced travels with the stream train as in # 2 when I was a little child about 6) #5 especially almost made me feel unhumid, fresh and cool air filling in you like water! Much to say, much to share thanks to your photographs. Ah, I even knew a monk friend who serves in Hagia Georgi (or Saint George) monastry in Büyükada, Istanbul, the way you explain in #7. Ah, as for the following two, once again, I remembered the known saying by Atatürk: 'Unless the life of the nation faces peril, war is a crime'...suggested also by the inscription with white stones there...Good job, arkadas, with your new K20D

Last edited by bahadir; Jun 4, 2009 at 11:09 AM.
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2009, 5:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac.smith View Post
Nice photos to go with your history and geography lesson. Thanks for sharing both.
A. C.
Thanks ac
Old Jun 4, 2009, 5:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahadir View Post
They say an elavation about 800m is good for health. So, I think enjoying there at least for a few weeks trying different routes for hiking and feeding on local food, etc! would do a world of good ; ) After all I'm not crazy about night clubs and discos!! Just a cozy pub or a cafe (but our kind of, you know, where folks sit almost all day as city dwellers say ) under plane trees near the old railway station would be fine...(btw, I find myself lucky to have experienced travels with the stream train as in # 2 when I was a little child about 6) #5 especially almost made me feel unhumid, fresh and cool air filling in you like water! Much to say, much to share thanks to your photographs. Ah, I even knew a monk friend who serves in Hagia Georgi (or Saint George) monastry in Büyükada, Istanbul, the way you explain in #7. Ah, as for the following two, once again, I remembered the known saying by Atatürk: 'Unless the life of the nation faces peril, war is a crime'...suggested also by the inscription with white stones there...Good job, arkadas, with your new K20D
Thanks arkadas i also am not fond of nightclubs like i used to be and next to the steam train was a nice table under a shaded tree, it was hot that day and the beer was mighty cold
beginning of next month i am off to Seattle Washington for a couple months, so maybe i will find a good priced K7, but before that
tomorrow i am off to Athens to see the Scorpions concert at the Olympic Stadium

Last edited by hercules; Jun 4, 2009 at 5:15 PM.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 8:09 AM   #6

I enjoyed my visit. thank you for the tour and info.
Caryl
carylwithay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2009, 6:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by carylwithay View Post
I enjoyed my visit. thank you for the tour and info.
Caryl
Why thank you Caryl