Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jun 7, 2009, 9:07 PM   #1

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni
Default Impressions From The Shoreline

Picture number one
Attached Images

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 8, 2009, 6:45 AM   #2

Impressionistic, indeed. Very colorful, but with nicely softened colors that look as though they came from Monet's palette.

And nicely composed. The eye is first drawn by the reds and then to the upper left hand to bluish rock.
The Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2009, 7:55 AM   #3

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
Impressionistic, indeed. Very colorful, but with nicely softened colors that look as though they came from Monet's palette.

And nicely composed. The eye is first drawn by the reds and then to the upper left hand to bluish rock.
Thank you, The Barbarian. Got very surprised over the strong colours, even in flat light. These sceneries get along very well with the enormous windmills nearby. The sound of them make a duett with the sounds of the sea.

Have a couple of more exposures, not as eyecatching perhaps, but again, that depends on the sensitivty of the viewer

Torgny

Picture number two
Attached Images

Old Jun 8, 2009, 8:01 AM   #4

Picture number three
Attached Images

Old Jun 8, 2009, 11:39 AM   #5

It's been a treat for my eyes to scroll down the series you submitted...and stopping by #3 for a while : )
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2009, 6:03 AM   #6

You were talking about 'strong' compositions the other day, Torgny. In the purple grassy picture, I think we have "strength through colour". It fully justifies its imposing size.

I stared at it, entranced. In the first instance it was just the middle grassy bit I could see, and that was stunning on its own. When I'd worked how to maxmise everything and go to 'full screen' browser view, I could see it all with millimetres to spare (This is not a complaint!).

Especially as I quoted your use of the the word 'strong' without your permission when it set me musing on 'kinds of strength', with the result at...

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/architectural-photos/156056-strong-not-so-strong.html

...in case you haven't seen it.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2009, 4:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahadir View Post
It's been a treat for my eyes to scroll down the series you submitted...and stopping by #3 for a while : )
Thank you, bahadir. Glad your scrolling effort gave some pleasure. You should have been there. Remarkable colour strength on a cloudy day

Torgny
Old Jun 9, 2009, 5:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
You were talking about 'strong' compositions the other day, Torgny. In the purple grassy picture, I think we have "strength through colour". It fully justifies its imposing size.

I stared at it, entranced. In the first instance it was just the middle grassy bit I could see, and that was stunning on its own. When I'd worked how to maxmise everything and go to 'full screen' browser view, I could see it all with millimetres to spare (This is not a complaint!).

Especially as I quoted your use of the the word 'strong' without your permission when it set me musing on 'kinds of strength', with the result at...

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/architectural-photos/156056-strong-not-so-strong.html

...in case you haven't seen it.

Thank you, Alan, for taking interest in these pictures and sharing your thoughts on the word "strength" in a photographic context. I know you weigh (your) words with golden scales

As I see it, when I try to make it simple to myself, there can be strong objects, for instance a strong bridge construction. A picture of such a strong construction can also be strong by it's composition.

So it seems. not surprisingly, there are at least two "meanings" of the word. You mentioned strength by colours. Yes, I think there can be such strength too

And there are surely other aspects of photography where the word "strong" has a proper place

Seems this matter is best dealt with by using the classic semantic distinction between (the concepts of) denotation and connotation.

You are a great user of the English language as far as I can judge. When we speak about the denotation of a word, we must/could/should/ought to have discussions like this one

Every person has his or hers connotation of a word. That can be seen as a fortune. One can imagine all the connotations of for instance the word "strong" by all the users of the word gathered into a union of connotations

Torgny

Last edited by Torgny; Jun 9, 2009 at 6:44 PM.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 8:11 AM   #9

Beautiful work Torgny! The colors make me think of fall, for some reason.
I can't help but wonder how impressionistic #1 or #3 would look with a slower shutter speed to "paint" the colors?
Beautiful!
shadokachr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2009, 8:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadokachr View Post
Beautiful work Torgny! The colors make me think of fall, for some reason.
I can't help but wonder how impressionistic #1 or #3 would look with a slower shutter speed to "paint" the colors?
Beautiful!
Thank you, shadokachr. I can imagine you have something like this in mind

Torgny
Attached Images