Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jun 28, 2009, 5:29 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
cmoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,712
Default Unusual clouds...

Some very unusual clouds formed after the heavy rain we had this past Friday. A friend told me these are mammatus clouds. Never seen anything like it. The setting sun casted an amber tint on everything. Was surreal!

Thanks for looking!
Chris







This is what it looked like in person. I tried to match the amber color as close as possible. It was something else!




cmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 28, 2009, 7:18 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
spedangie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 514
Default

Those are called mamatus clouds--they form occasionally after a thunderstorm--and as you have documented they are very dramatic!
People really freak when they see them, but I've been told by 'weather smart' people that they aren't really dangerous. They frequently have a spectacular golden or orange glow from the sun that is re-emerging. Great captures!

Angie I.
spedangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2009, 10:11 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
cmoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,712
Default

Thanks Angie! It was a sight to see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spedangie View Post
Those are called mamatus clouds--they form occasionally after a thunderstorm--and as you have documented they are very dramatic!
People really freak when they see them, but I've been told by 'weather smart' people that they aren't really dangerous. They frequently have a spectacular golden or orange glow from the sun that is re-emerging. Great captures!

Angie I.
cmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2009, 11:23 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
mike_1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Illinois, USA
Posts: 448
Default

Neat photos, cmoy!

There's a brief article on this specific event at http://spaceweather.com/

Mike
mike_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2009, 11:45 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
cmoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,712
Default

Thanks Mike! Link bookmarked

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_1 View Post
Neat photos, cmoy!

There's a brief article on this specific event at http://spaceweather.com/

Mike
cmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2009, 1:02 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
bahadir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Izmir, Turkey
Posts: 6,263
Default

Such a spectacular display over the city! I likened the formation to the 'multi breasted' chest of Artemis to nurture her citizens : )
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2009, 7:15 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
cmoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,712
Default

Thanks Bahadir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahadir View Post
Such a spectacular display over the city! I likened the formation to the 'multi breasted' chest of Artemis to nurture her citizens : )
cmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2009, 4:47 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Alan T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Chester, UK
Posts: 2,980
Default

I've never seen them, but they were all over our TV screens here recently, because the British founder of the Cloud Appreciation Society had an hour's documentary, in which 'mammatus' featured prominently, so to speak.

But not as well as in your superb images!

He's just achieved official meteorological recognition for a new cloud type called 'asperatus'. I think I saw some of them the other day, but didn't have a camera to hand, sadly. See... http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsid_8076000/8076805.stm

Last edited by Alan T; Jun 30, 2009 at 4:51 AM. Reason: typos
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2009, 8:55 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
cmoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,712
Default

Thanks Alan! It was such a sight!

Very interesting! Would love to see some asperatus clouds in person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
I've never seen them, but they were all over our TV screens here recently, because the British founder of the Cloud Appreciation Society had an hour's documentary, in which 'mammatus' featured prominently, so to speak.

But not as well as in your superb images!

He's just achieved official meteorological recognition for a new cloud type called 'asperatus'. I think I saw some of them the other day, but didn't have a camera to hand, sadly. See... http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsid_8076000/8076805.stm
cmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 6:09 PM.