Old Jul 9, 2009, 8:32 PM   #1

Default Barbarian, where am I?

July 6, 2009

A. C.
Attached Images

ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 11, 2009, 9:33 PM   #2

You're on a jetty on the causeway into Sabula, Iowa. If you were lucky, it was a weekend, and you got to eat here:

Bombfire Pizza. Great thin-crust pizza cooked in a brick beehive oven, maybe with a Longface Ale. I was just there, checking out the pelicans and cormorants, neither of which were that common when I lived there. Not far from there, I found these...

I don't think I've seen a better shot of the back lake and the town, BTW. Great job. When were you there? I just got back yesterday.

Last edited by The Barbarian; Jul 11, 2009 at 9:54 PM.
The Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2009, 9:56 PM   #3

I was there last Monday afternoon having taken an extra day off after the holiday weekend. We took a day trip to Clinton to photograph the structures that look like lighthouses, ate there, and then drove up toward Bellevue. My son said there was a nice overlook near Bellevue but we didn't find it. Took a side trip to Sabula on the way up. Wish I'd known about the eatery there as it is probably better than either place where we did eat.

I did see the general area were you took swan photos.

Speaking of pelicans they weren't here when I lived in the '69-'73 time frame and they weren't here in the '86-'89 time frame either. About four years ago my wife had one fly in front of her car as she went over Duck Creek (we had seen many when we lived in La.) No one believed her then but I saw another about a month later. Now I generally see 25 or so on my way to work in the morning.

A. C.

Last edited by ac.smith; Jul 11, 2009 at 10:07 PM.
Old Jul 11, 2009, 10:03 PM   #4

This one is on the Illinois side, looking north. The main channel is on the far left.
Old Jul 11, 2009, 10:14 PM   #5

Nice. That was the sort of view we were looking for.

A. C.
Old Jul 11, 2009, 11:16 PM   #6

BTW, if you go just a bit north of Bellevue, you will come to a little valley and the town of St. Donatus. Founded by stone masons from Luxembourg, the Catholic Church and old school are interesting. And a great meal can be had at the Kalmus filling station and restraurant, still run by descendants of the original settlers.

Oh, and a great Catholic cemetary.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 8:19 AM   #7

I saw the road signs for St. Donatus on the way up. I'll put that on the list next time we take a day trip north. Thanks for the restaurant tips as well. Unfortunately the only recommendation I came away with as the result of the jaunt was a negative one.

A. C.