Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jul 13, 2009, 10:45 PM   #1

Default Hawaiian Sunrises

Sunrise and sunset are so often beautiful in the Hawaiian islands, so on my visit this summer, I made it a priority to get to the right beaches to catch the moment. I had bad luck on sunsets, with the most spectacular opportunities spoiled by low clouds on the horizon, but getting up incredibly early paid dividends at sunrise. First is taken over Kaneohe Bay from a small community park.

On the Southeast coast of Oahu is Makapa Point, punctuated by the lighthouse, barely visible sticking up from the rocks on the right. (My wife and I got up at 4am to drive down the coast for this one.)

But, my favorite sunrise was at Kualoa Beach Park on the northeast coast of Oahu

Definitely worth getting out of bed early in the A.M.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 14, 2009, 3:55 AM   #2
Super Moderator

I agree Paul, that last shot is really lovely and I would love to have been able to see it.... great work. Hoping you get out of bed early more often
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2009, 4:50 AM   #3

Thanks for posting some of your Hawaiian pictures here also! Very dramatic sunrise pictures, especially 2nd and 3rd ones, proclaiming once again that early bird always wins : ) Btw, I think the 3rd one, which struct me once again, is the post processed version of the one you had posted 'straight from the camera' in Pentax forums . Good job indeed!
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2009, 8:14 AM   #4

Yep. The last one really sings. The palm silhouette, the rays of the sun, and that ocean, like molten bronze.

Great shot. My favorite of the three.

Number two gets a close second for the way the light illuminates the cumulus cloud. It becomes translucent, like a fireball.
The Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2009, 11:26 AM   #5

Number 3 is SPECTACULAR! The nice thing about getting up early and catching a shot like that is that you feel justified getting right back into bed again.

Nice going, Steve
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2009, 2:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahadir View Post
Thanks for posting some of your Hawaiian pictures here also! Very dramatic sunrise pictures, especially 2nd and 3rd ones, proclaiming once again that early bird always wins : ) Btw, I think the 3rd one, which struct me once again, is the post processed version of the one you had posted 'straight from the camera' in Pentax forums . Good job indeed!
You are absolutely correct, bahadir. Image #3 was one I posted in the Pentax forum while I was on vacation. Once I got home, I began the task of running the RAW images through Lightroom and processing on a larger, color-calibrated monitor. This image, however, required almost no adjusting. This is still very close to "straight from the camera."

I will be posting some of my other Hawaiian landscape shots as I finish processing them.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote