Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Aug 10, 2009, 9:17 PM   #1
spy

Default Abandoned Coal Mine/Light Painting

I came across this abandoned building in the Crowsnest Pass in Southern Alberta the other night when I was looking for subjects to "light paint". As mining for coal was what drove the economy in the early to mid 1900's as a fuel source, when other forms of fuel were discovered, coal moved out, the industry closed it's doors and buildings were left to rot away.

There is great history here in this part of Alberta with many buildings such as this left as a reminder of what was a thriving part of the economy many years ago.

Kevin

20d, 17-85mm, ISO 400, 30 seconds
Attached Images

spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 10, 2009, 9:24 PM   #2

Very very cool! Kind of spooky too.
shadokachr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2009, 9:37 PM   #3
spy

What made us run for the truck was just as we were shooting the last shot there was a bunch of crashing noises in the trees just behind the building. I told the photography student that was with me that we may have just woke something up with the flash light and it's not happy.

We then grabbed the camera gear and booked it out of there!
Old Aug 11, 2009, 1:44 AM   #4

Very good subject and composition to go well with light painting, ah, especially moonlight painting as the piece of cloud above suggests...

Quote:
...as we were shooting the last shot there was a bunch of crashing noises in the trees just behind the building. I told the photography student that was with me that we may have just woke something up with the flash light and it's not happy
Btw, you might have preserved the 'woken up thing' lightpainted forever for the sake of photography
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2009, 6:43 AM   #5

Great shot again. I'm really enjoying this series because it's so different than everything else. What makes this shot for me is the wisps of clouds, stars and trees that really set the mood. Great stuff!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2009, 8:24 PM   #6
spy

Thanks bahadir and JohnG for the comments. I was particularly happy with the conditions that night as rain was in the forecast but I drove out anyway hoping for the best. I could have waited around to see what was so upset with us...that would have been a neat photo!
Old Aug 12, 2009, 7:59 AM   #7

Very striking image. What do you mean by light painting?
Caryl
carylwithay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2009, 8:25 AM   #8
spy

Thanks Caryl. "Light Painting" is a manual lighting technique used in the darkness of night well after the sun has gone down. As in my photos where this technique is used, I pick a subject of interest that I'll light up with a flash light while the shutter of the camera is open.

Now, lighting can be accomplished by other means other than a flash light but can not be done during daylight hours with the sun. So a good imagination comes in handy if your wanting your dark subject exposed. Perhaps the light from the moon is enough to do the trick or a passing car with it's headlights on where the light coming from it moves across the subject.

Hope this information helps. Try goggling "light painting with photography" for more ideas and good luck if you decide you want to try this!

Kevin
Old Aug 12, 2009, 8:29 AM   #9

Thank you for the info. I used to paint with light with my film camera. I used a flashlight on objects but sometimes just made line paintings in the dark. I must give it a try with digital.
Caryl
carylwithay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2009, 9:11 AM   #10
spy

So you kinda have a feel for it. Would love to see what you get!
Kevin