Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Aug 14, 2009, 11:09 AM   #1

Default South Australia: Recreation Park

Hello all

A few weekends ago I went for a walk on a Sunday after church, to a recreation park I'd never been to before. It is located in the southern suburbs of Adelaide, and is called: "Sturt Gorge Recreation Park" (as the first photo / sign, shows). Maybe you find the pictures on the sign below the name interesting, at least their "logical" - understandable for most languages, I guess.

The 2nd photo shows the view from the entrance area down to the gorge below. I like how the trees dot the opposite hill there.
Attached Images

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 14, 2009, 11:13 AM   #2

Default Down and closer

Down in the gorge / valley floor, many magnificent trees line the creek (stream) that is there. Thankfully we've had a decent amount of rainfall this "winter season" (but more can still be had) - so that meant green grass is abundant here, as you can see. But let's also take a closer look ... like at this leaf here, caught in the sunlight from behind.
Attached Images

Old Aug 14, 2009, 11:16 AM   #3

Default Continuing our "closer" look at the landscape

Here, one can see the interesting colours produced by a tree branch that was cut off (for some reason, maybe because it was weak and hanging over a path... or interfered with something else). Anyway, that unique colour and "stain" always stands out clearly!

And on a nearby bush, some flowers herald the spring is already coming. (I have this bush in my garden too, the bees love it - though I don't know its name!)
Attached Images

Old Aug 14, 2009, 11:20 AM   #4

Default Angles and ages

And here, I was fascinated by the particular angle that these "slate style" rocks in the ground formed, presenting a contrast both in colour and in angle to the normal green landscape, trees and clear blue winter sky.

As in many landscapes, there are many stories to see... maybe the little eucalyptus sapling (small tree) in the foreground is a son ("or daughter") of the big tree in the background. What ages are they? How will this scene look in 5, 20 or 100 years time?

Ahh... thanks friends - for walking with me on that Sunday afternoon! I hope you enjoyed it! Any comments very welcome.

Regards,

Paul
Attached Images

Old Aug 14, 2009, 5:49 PM   #5

Nice series of shots pj and colorful well done
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2009, 7:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj1974 View Post
And here, I was fascinated by the particular angle that these "slate style" rocks in the ground formed, presenting a contrast both in colour and in angle to the normal green landscape, trees and clear blue winter sky.
Ahh... thanks friends - for walking with me on that Sunday afternoon! I hope you enjoyed it! Any comments very welcome.
Such a good observation indeed regarding the reddish rocks (somewhat reminiscent of the colour the tree branch produced) contrasting to the green landscape my friend! Thank you for the pleasurable Sunday afternoon walk thanks to your demonstrative captures : )
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2009, 6:48 PM   #7

Thanks Hercules and Bahadir

As you both picked up, the colours of this area on this day allowed pleasing results.

I appreciate you looking and commenting!

Paul
Old Aug 17, 2009, 11:49 PM   #8

Beautiful photos, Paul, showing some of the "local" sights. Your compositions and exposures were spot on. I envy you your photo opportunities so close to home.

I found the international symbols on the sign quite humerous, actually. For example, it'e OK to photograph, to hike, or walk a dog, but not OK to ride a bicycle or horse, yet it's perfectly fine to fall off a cliff! LOL

Robert
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2009, 7:35 AM   #9

Nice series Paul. To give forum members a stark contrast you should walk through the park late summer. Now saying that we will probably have a wet winter! LOL Thanks for sharing.
MVASteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2009, 6:39 AM   #10

Default thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwild View Post
Beautiful photos, Paul, showing some of the "local" sights. Your compositions and exposures were spot on. I envy you your photo opportunities so close to home.

I found the international symbols on the sign quite humerous, actually. For example, it'e OK to photograph, to hike, or walk a dog, but not OK to ride a bicycle or horse, yet it's perfectly fine to fall off a cliff! LOL

Robert
Hi Robert... ha yes, I didn't think about that, but you're quite right in that logic! Maybe we should write to the council before someone falls off the cliffs and sues for not having an "accurate" or "understandable" sign about the danger and consequences of doing what is 'allowed'.

Glad you appreciated the compositions (& exposures). I think we all can see photo opportunities OUT of our own usual experience easier than or own "back-yard", i.e. local area. What I mean is, I'm sure if I went to your area I'd say "wow, how interesting this is... snap snap snap" or "I've never seen that before, click, click, clikc". And you'd do the same here.

Part of the trick is to see the good perspectives to share and make a story from it.

Thanks again

Paul