Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Nov 11, 2003, 2:14 PM   #1
JED

Default First Panorama

It's without enhancements, just stitched in canon photo stitch. First link is resized and small (~50kb) second is big (~500kb). Can you tell what do you think about it?

http://jed1.freewebspace.com/p4.jpg

http://jed1.freewebspace.com/p7.jpg
JED is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 11, 2003, 5:52 PM   #2

Wow! I just spent the longest time trying to find the "stitching" points, but I found none. I only played with panoramas once and it turned into a disaster, probably because it was of a room with far too many straight lines and angles. Maybe someone else with more experience has tips for panoramas, but in the meantime, I'm certainly impressed.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2003, 7:32 PM   #3

JED, one hint to avoid horizon curvature is to shoot horizontally as much as possible.
I know we are all tempted to point downwards to add more "land" in the shot but this leads unavoidably to this problem.
Unless you were really looking for a fish-eye effect
brtsergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2003, 8:21 PM   #4

Quote:
I only played with panoramas once and it turned into a disaster
I agree. I had the same results in the past and just hated it, so I didn't expect the Canon program to do as well as it did.

I just stood in the back of my truck and turned from left to right and took pictures. No tripod or anything. Added the pictures to the stitch program and viola! Pano!

You can see the blurrs if you look *real* hard. I just posted a similar picture
Chael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2003, 10:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by brtsergio
JED, one hint to avoid horizon curvature is to shoot horizontally as much as possible.
I know we are all tempted to point downwards to add more "land" in the shot but this leads unavoidably to this problem.
Unless you were really looking for a fish-eye effect
Shooting with level will solve the problem, but it can lead to borring images. Not being able to deal with the camera being off level is a software limitation, it is not a basic requirement in shooting panos. See http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.houghton/horizons.htm for a tutorial on how to deal with that issue using Panorama Tools.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2003, 3:42 AM   #6
JED

Thanks all for replays.

I tried to shot with level, but it was handheld and shot from my window. I tried Panorama Factory but it made much bigger curvature. I used Canon software but not auto mode. It has option to show correspondig areas and that work better for me.

BIllDrew: mayby I should try Panorama Tools but from this tutorial it looks complicated .

Do you think I should work on the photo itself to make it looks better? If so what should I change?
Old Nov 12, 2003, 8:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JED
BIllDrew: mayby I should try Panorama Tools but from this tutorial it looks complicated . ...
Panorama Tools, even with one of the GUI front ends, is complicated and it is difficult to learn and to use. PT is also well worth the effort because it can deal with issues most other stitching programs cannot.

Keep shooting panoramas and stitching with the program you have. When you have a failure, figure out why, e.g., is it a software limitation or is it a problems in the way you shot it. You will learn more from your failures than from your successes.

IMHO, the most important issues in shooting panoramas are the same as any other photo - figuring out where to stand when you shoot, getting exposure right, picking the best light, ....
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2003, 3:59 PM   #8
JED

My panorama after some adjustments (98kb), how do you like it now?

http://jed1.freewebspace.com/p6.jpg