Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Sep 2, 2009, 12:42 PM   #1

Default Faux Fall in Queen City, Texas

Hey guys!

Here's a picture I took about 3 miles from my house. I live in a small town called Atlanta (Texas, not Georgia ) but this is in the neighboring town of Queen City.

I'm still trying to make the transition from Video to Photos, and I'm trying to learn about composition and such. What do you guys think?

I was driving along and happened to have my Camera with me and thought it would make a cool picture.

I shot it with an Olympus e-450. The only manipulation that I did in Photoshop was changing the color a bit. I tried to make it look sort of like Autumn, but it ended up looking sort of like a shot from "O Brother Where Art Thou?"

Constructive criticism is VERY welcome. I'm here to learn!

If any of you guys have a DeviantART account, here's a link:
http://jamie-wendigo.deviantart.com/...Fall-135592123

Last edited by Jerolin; Sep 2, 2009 at 3:27 PM. Reason: typo
Jerolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 2, 2009, 3:10 PM   #2

Judging from the tasful composition above, I can say one is likely to enjoy your footages also! Now, as for your your good transition into photos, imo, it will especially show when you next shoot video since film directors with photographic background do not go unnoticed, like Abdullah Oğuz whose work 'Bliss' you can watch here: http://www.filmizle5.com/Mutluluk.html

Well, coming back to your tasteful capture, your manipulation @ Photoshop works for me, but the blown sky with high contrast steals away from it, which could easily be fixed by using the brush tool and colour picker, such as below.

Keep on posting mate
Attached Images

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2009, 3:36 PM   #3

Amazing! you're completely right.

It's awesome how much better it looks with a natural looking sky. Thanks so much for taking the time to point that out and correct it!

One thing about this picture that I was never really thrilled with is that the shadows intersect the road, but I can't move the sun I suppose. Nor did I feel like doing that much editing in Photoshop.

Thanks!
Old Sep 3, 2009, 10:37 AM   #4

Oh, it's been delightful to work on this picture with such beautifully mellowed colours you arranged reminiscent of those in an afternoon depiction by Monet!
Well, I'd also like to add that the shadows intersecting the road, which I liken to those in his work Le Bassin d'Argenteuil, serve as components of the composition.
Coming back to sweet sweet!! composition, you must have seen the examples of a strong photographic composition serving well in a film, had you clicked on the link above!
Old Sep 3, 2009, 11:20 AM   #5

The link didn't work, but I was able to find several clips from it elsewhere online. Absolutely beautiful cinematography!

I read further into the plot of the story, and I find it very interesting. I'm going to try to find it on DVD, or even buy the book it's adapted from.

Thanks!
Old Sep 3, 2009, 2:23 PM   #6

Let me know if you can't find the DVD ; ) Actually, though I wasn't crazy about it in my teens, I must say Turkish cinema has attained a distinct quality like the French cinema, for those seeking an escape from Hollywood productions, especially in the past decade thanks to such 'all rounder' directors, ah, and the wide range of interesting plots from feudalism to post modernism at once!!
Anyway, now here's a link to the photo gallery of another renowned 'photographer' film director: http://www.nuribilgeceylan.com/photo...lery.php?mid=3
But I know some people who complain about the lengths of the scenes in his films

Well, again coming back to your photo, I wonder if you may have a second thought about the shadows there (about which I mentioned in my previous post)...
Old Sep 4, 2009, 2:24 PM   #7

I really, really like a lot of the shots on the Nuri Bilge Ceylan website. Especially the "For my Father" gallery. Quite awesome.

The shadows going across the road does make more sense to me as far as composition is concerned after looking at "Le Bassin d'Argenteuil". I'm still learning about composition, so thank you for all the comments and suggestions!
Old Sep 6, 2009, 2:06 AM   #8

I am very impressed with the work of Nuri bilge ceylen, amazing. Would it be film or digital?
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2009, 4:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by aladyforty View Post
I am very impressed with the work of Nuri bilge ceylen, amazing. Would it be film or digital?
Regarding 'for my father' in his gallery consisting 24 works by which I was also moved; they were taken with digital, whereas the rest the joint exhibition for which he gives a link ''For the series of photographs of "For my Father" by Emine Ceylan, please go here.'' ; they were shot with film and b&w by his sister Emine Ceylan to be digitilized and printed.

Well, Jerolin's transition from video to photos inspired me to share my two favourite film directors with photographic background, which shows in their films!