Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Sep 4, 2009, 2:45 AM   #1

Default Norwegian Seaside Rocks

Here is another one in my series "Norwegian Seaside Rocks" - one of my favorite motives to shoot. At least for now, while my own boat sits, high and dry, in my garden for a major overhaul and rebuild.

I love the sea, sea-shores and boating (my #1 interrest) very much. In fact, photography is just about to outnumber this, or so it seems...

I like to combine these two strong interrests.

Suggestions and comments are welcome - and, Yes - its a HDR with 3 handheld (!!!) exposures - mainly possible because of the efficiency of the FZ-28's stabilizer and of course that PhotoMatixPro3 is such a good software.

BTW - I'v posted the same picture in the forum for the Panasonic-user family. If my shot is of land- or sea-scape (which they usually are...), I have made the habit to post here in the specialized Landscape-forum as well, because there is more of a viewing-crowd here than in the Panasonic-thread.

After all, we post our pictures to be seen, don't we?

Quote: "Buying a camera doesn't make you a photographer. - It makes you a camera owner".
Curious about my photography?
You may look up my small portfolio on the Norwegian photo-forum: http://walter_s.foto.no/ - click - "LATEST" on left bottom of page.
You may then click any thumbnail to view the picture and click again on the displayed picture for an unobstructed full screen view. Enjoy!
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 7, 2009, 4:15 AM   #2

Good job mate

Looks like an aerial picture of a rocky coastline!
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2009, 6:10 PM   #3

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Walter

Remarkably fleshy (incarnated) rocks. Like a stranded whale. Seen them in Hvalfjördur, Iceland

Torgny
Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2009, 9:24 AM   #4

Thank you both, bahadir and Torgny!

This is a perfectly common type of seaside rock here in the South. I like it because its high content of iron-ore makes it's surface a warm "rusty-brown" where it has contact with the saltwater.

Under certain light conditions - usually with the sun low on the horizon - they tend to "glow" rather nicely, giving an extra colour-dimension to the rock.

Thanks again for you kind words and encouragement!

Old Sep 12, 2009, 6:57 AM   #5

Default Another one in my series "Norwegian Seaside Rocks":

Just found this one. Had forgotten about it.

The question is; Should I dodge the rocks somewhat, or does this picture function the way it is? I myself fell for the texture on the rocks (sounds almost like a drink! ) and the reflecting colours from the sky.

Comments welcome:
Attached Images

Quote: "Buying a camera doesn't make you a photographer. - It makes you a camera owner".
Curious about my photography?
You may look up my small portfolio on the Norwegian photo-forum: http://walter_s.foto.no/ - click - "LATEST" on left bottom of page.
You may then click any thumbnail to view the picture and click again on the displayed picture for an unobstructed full screen view. Enjoy!
Old Sep 12, 2009, 3:07 PM   #6

i really like the last shot walter the lighting is fantastic i would leave the rocks maybe just try and hide the bouys and walkway on the RHS ? just my opinion mind ?
simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2009, 4:03 PM   #7

Beautiful shot, I would dodge the rocks a bit.
bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2009, 5:26 AM   #8

Oh, such an eye pleasing capture with the rocky foreground richly contributing the composition! Now, I'd agree with your idea of dodging the rocks so as to enhance the texture and light interplay. Yet, I'd prefer the dodge for b&w mainly and try a selective hdr job for the foreground only, then overlay it on the original at PS, and then use the eraser tool until I get the desired effect. Below is a quick job screenshot from the the original so as to obey the 249k posting limit which causes the subtle tones disappear. I believe you can come up with a stunning original following the simple procedure : )
Attached Images

Old Sep 13, 2009, 9:38 AM   #9

Default Amazing results, bahadir!

Oh. My!
Bahadir, you are a master at PP. I wouldn't have dreamt that these dark rocks in my example, even contained that much ligth- and colour-information! Amazing!

I think I understand what you did (even thouhgh, the process itself is a mystery to me) - but cannot understand or do this rather complicated act, as I do not have enough knowledge / experience.

Myself, I do have the CS2, but rarely use it, because I find it too complicatet to use. I do all my pp in Elements 7.0 which, in my opinion, has a lower treshold.

But, after looking what you got out of this, I am sure intrigued at having a go at this process, sometrimes in the future!

Thanks a lot, bahadir - for taking the time to prepare this superb examle, and to show a novice what can be done with the right approach.

Old Sep 15, 2009, 3:37 PM   #10

Once you set out, I assure you, no more compicated than what you did for your 'View across the Sound' picture with your CS2 about the new year's eve : ) You were there so was the ligth and colour information...Thanks for the kind words, btw.

Cheers!
Bahadır

.................................................. ...............

''I hope that photography, rather than falling into the realm of industry and commerce, enters the world of art '' Gustave Le Gray, 1850's