Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Oct 20, 2009, 8:32 PM   #1

Default Cool day at the Marina

Took this shot and I did a heel kick when I see it on the computer I think its a sure winner so I sent it in to Steve"s photo of the day of course. I did no retouch at all and no crops... I know there is a lot of white inside here but man its good to me...
Attached Images

SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 21, 2009, 7:51 AM   #2

The water looks lovely. This picture works for me.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2009, 7:57 AM   #3

I like the boats and the water, but the blown sky dominates 1/3 of the frame (good composition by the way). Tough to get that type of shot without using some advanced techniques (which is one of the things that makes photography so interesting and challenging - learning those techniqes).

Keep at it and keep having fun.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2009, 1:41 PM   #4

Thanks both above I actually have been wanting and trying different locations to capture the house above on the hill and when I was down on the water front and both foot ferries where in and the water calm I told my son whom was with me to stop so I could take the picture it was cold that day and he was getting antsy to go ... so the last resort is to just stop and do on this one it helps to have the screens on the backs to focus in on the subjects it the actual out come of course when one gets home and gets them in to the data box (Computer).. I have had so many out of cheaper cameras that did not look good at all.. and I have taken some good shots in my days of past..Again, Thanks
Old Oct 22, 2009, 1:01 PM   #5

Well first off, I love shots like these boats and docks. This is a very nice image.

What I like best is the water. It is gorgeous. I love the colors and the reflections of the boats and docks.

The boats too look very nice and sharp and to me very interesting. It would be nice if from the water line up to the tree tops there was a little more light. Perhaps a layer with increased exposure, maybe. But again it is very cool as it is.

The sky however just is not too interesting so I would prefer it cropped to about half what it is now. When I scroll this page down and the top half of the sky gets clipped off by the monitor it just looks better to me.

Thanks again for sharing. Here in North Carolina we have some beautiful boats and fishing communities. I just have not made it down there at all since I had the new camera. Need to plan that for next year!

Andy
griffina6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2009, 2:33 PM   #6

I thought about cropping but I have heard or read that there should be balance on all side of subject and my focus point was the middle of both the boats here.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 6:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpShotGal View Post
I thought about cropping but I have heard or read that there should be balance on all side of subject and my focus point was the middle of both the boats here.
"balance" is definitely not a requirement... many, if not most, compositions can be stronger if the main subject is a little off center, either horizontally or vertically or both. i like the water in this, and the subject matter is fine, but the blown-out sky really detracts from the image. i'd agree with Griffin, and crop off most of the sky, unless you can either layer in something more pleasing or maybe try some HDR processing to pull out some shadow detail and tone down the sky...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2009, 7:15 PM   #8

I hope you don't mind but, I took this to Gimp and this is what I came up with. Nothing spectacular but, improved... as least to my eye.

BEFORE

AFTER
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2009, 4:41 AM   #9

why that does look nice but the first is orig
and will become a part of a calender that I have in mind....