Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Oct 27, 2009, 12:14 PM   #1

Default Early morning stroll along the water

...that about as good a title I could think of (because I don't know the rigth word in English for those man-made defense-hills from the old days (17century) - surrounding the fortified town.

But the it's the photo and not the title that counts, right...?

Situation: Early morning. The sun had not come out yet but is lurking on the horizon, hence the pink tint on the clouds.

Sorry for any inconveniance (?!?) but I first uploadet the wrong photo. This should be the right one now:

Thank you for looking!

Quote: "Buying a camera doesn't make you a photographer. - It makes you a camera owner".
Curious about my photography?
You may look up my small portfolio on the Norwegian photo-forum: http://walter_s.foto.no/ - click - "LATEST" on left bottom of page.
You may then click any thumbnail to view the picture and click again on the displayed picture for an unobstructed full screen view. Enjoy!

Last edited by Walter_S; Oct 27, 2009 at 2:15 PM. Reason: Upload of wrong photo.
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 27, 2009, 9:52 PM   #2

Nice picture there Walter... the home lands are always full of interesting subjects they have hills in Missouri that are the same the fort is gone but the hills still stand... brings lots of people around from all over for they are where the Civil war was held and one side or the other was defeated... I had a really nice picture of the candles in the Brown paper bags that represented every man that died there on the hill... on the lap top that was stolen......
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2009, 12:29 PM   #3

Default Appreciate your kind words, SSG...

...and thank you for taking a look and the time to comment this shot.

Actually, if you look real close, yonder, underneath thos big trees, there are in fact several cannons on wooden bases and wheels, pointing outward, across the water. Remnance of the old fortification.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 5:17 PM   #4

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_S View Post
...that about as good a title I could think of (because I don't know the rigth word in English for those man-made defense-hills from the old days (17century) - surrounding the fortified town.

But the it's the photo and not the title that counts, right...?

Situation: Early morning. The sun had not come out yet but is lurking on the horizon, hence the pink tint on the clouds.

Walter,

Could the word be "redoubt"?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/redoubt

as in this thread

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ar...-pictures.html

Three pictures in one, to me. One like it is, a potential cropping of the tree to the left and a vertical crop of the right part of the picture. Wonderful colours

Torgny

If I may: what I see
Attached Images

Last edited by Torgny; Nov 1, 2009 at 5:27 PM.
Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2009, 6:01 PM   #5

Default Redoubt!

Oh yes, Torgny!

This is the word I was looking for. 'Skansen' in Swedish, 'Skansen' or 'Vollene' in Norwegian, and Redoubt in English! Thank you so much for helping me out here. My command of English stops when it comes to historical names and expressions.

In the next picture here, you will see the same redoubt as in #1, but this time we are looking in the opposite direction, where you actually can se the position of the cannons there at the end.

All a bit hazy in the distance, as it was early in the morning, following a night with very moist weather, but still recognizable.

Have a nice new week!

Quote: "Buying a camera doesn't make you a photographer. - It makes you a camera owner".
Curious about my photography?
You may look up my small portfolio on the Norwegian photo-forum: http://walter_s.foto.no/ - click - "LATEST" on left bottom of page.
You may then click any thumbnail to view the picture and click again on the displayed picture for an unobstructed full screen view. Enjoy!
Old Nov 1, 2009, 8:03 PM   #6

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_S View Post
Oh yes, Torgny!

This is the word I was looking for. 'Skansen' in Swedish, 'Skansen' or 'Vollene' in Norwegian, and Redoubt in English! Thank you so much for helping me out here. My command of English stops when it comes to historical names and expressions.

In the next picture here, you will see the same redoubt as in #1, but this time we are looking in the opposite direction, where you actually can se the position of the cannons there at the end.

All a bit hazy in the distance, as it was early in the morning, following a night with very moist weather, but still recognizable.

Have a nice new week!

Walter,

Thanks, Same to you. This last picture brings me back to late the feeling of medieval ages. That brown-red tones - you can find them in paitings of old. Beautiful

Torgny

Btw; this is the part I see most
Attached Images

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2009, 8:40 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Walter-S

I like the mood in the 2nd shot. the slight fog effect and nice soft colors are enhanced compared to this original. nice one.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 1:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgny View Post
...the feeling of medieval ages. That brown-red tones - you can find them in paitings of old. Beautiful
My feelings exactly, Torgny!

Every time I look at them, they remind me of paintings of Rembrand or old Engilsh masters of that age. It's the subdued colors of red-brownish, like old paintings where the varnish of linseed-oil has aged the picture with a brownish tint.

Thank you for commenting and editing the picture. I can clearly see where you are going with your crops - and I like it!!

Thank's again, Torgny!

Old Nov 2, 2009, 1:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
..the slight fog effect and nice soft colors are enhanced...
Thank you for your comments, Hards80!

Shooting more into the direction of the sun, made the slight haze more visible. I'm quite content with this shot myself, if I may say so.

Thank's again!
Old Nov 2, 2009, 2:27 PM   #10

Default Two photograpers - same eye for motives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgny View Post
...a potential cropping of the tree to the left...
Well Torgny - I had the same idea, allready when I was shooting this series - I came home with 450 exposures that morning (!!!) - and I could not just pass this gorgious looking tree - so I shot it - several times, in fact. (It is still alive today...)

You can see the result in this thread here: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/la...orld-tree.html

Best regards!