Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Oct 29, 2009, 5:55 AM   #1

Default Autumn from the Bathroom Window

I've been having a frustrating time catching the autumn colours this year, and I had to snatch opportunities, so I commiserate with gjtoth's difficulties ( http://forums.steves-digicams.com/la...bluegrass.html ). This is the best I've managed this year, shot from a few feet away from this computer.

(Has anyone any idea why this image appears much less sharp on Steve's Forum's web page than on my own unchanged pc at the same size? I've used the same techniques as always, but I've been away from here since July. Has anything changed?)
Attached Images

Last edited by Alan T; Oct 29, 2009 at 6:00 AM. Reason: Image much less sharp than expected
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 29, 2009, 6:05 AM   #2

Peering out of the small bathroom window, I was somewhat constrained on composition. (A bit of washing line has been cloned out from bottom right).
Attached Images

Old Oct 29, 2009, 6:21 AM   #3

Judging from those clouds in #2, I'd say you were pretty lucky to get the shots you did

Someone else had brought up the IQ question in another thread and, yes, something about the resizing messes with the IQ. It was suggested that if you resize them yourself, the IQ isn't affected.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2009, 6:49 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
Judging from those clouds in #2, I'd say you were pretty lucky to get the shots you did
It was between showers, hence the faint rainbow from the raindrops that had just passed. Foliage colours against a dark sky always look better.

Quote:
Someone else had brought up the IQ question in another thread and, yes, something about the resizing messes with the IQ. It was suggested that if you resize them yourself, the IQ isn't affected
That's exactly what I did, as I've always done on Steve's. I got the image looking right, in any of my image viewers, at exactly the pixel size at which I expect it to be displayed. In the past they've always looked as I expect, and I haven't changed anything at this end. I have noticed occasionally that certain other folk's work sometimes hasn't looked as sharp as I'd have expected, coming from them. Now it's suddenly happened to me.

I do notice that my exactly 800x600 pixel image has been displayed in the forum as a 799x599 pixel image, and I have not noticed this before. I surmise that this tiny resizing, causing minor changes in display 'dithering', has been sufficient to undo my carefully adjusted sharpening.

I'll take this up in "Contact Steve's".
Old Oct 29, 2009, 6:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
......I'll take this up in "Contact Steve's"...
Correction: No I won't take it up; I've worked out what's happened. Because it's such a fussy image with all the subtle shades and complex shapes, my usual 'save as...' jpeg settings in Paint Shop Pro produced a file size that's just over the maximum size limit, so the Forum software resized and then rejpeg-compressed it

I'll try reposting it with a little more compression, and see if it works. Sorry, folks, for making my comeback after a couple months with a silly foul-up !

Aha! That's better....
Attached Images

Last edited by Alan T; Oct 29, 2009 at 7:20 AM.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 9:34 AM   #6

Well there is a big difference in clarity. So the cause is by the site resizing a file sent that was too big. Good to know. Thanks.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2009, 7:45 AM   #7

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Alan,

Think it could be even clearer. PPPro must have a picture size and quality option. Try to hit around 200 kilobytes. Well, sometimes the d.... is in the details

Yes, the recompression is no good

Torgny

Last edited by Torgny; Oct 30, 2009 at 7:49 AM.
Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2009, 6:39 PM   #8

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Alan,

Think it could be even clearer. PPPro must have a picture size and quality

Yes, the recompression they do is no good. Better if they tell you to downsize or to choose another level of compression option. Try to hit around 200 kilobytes.

Dramatic picture with the dark skies ahead and the sun breaking through from behind. Was there rain coming your way

Torgny
Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote