Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Dec 6, 2009, 6:14 PM   #1

Default First Snowfall of the Season

We had our first snowfall of the season last night. Being that today's forecast was 40 degrees, I quickly took pictures early in the morning before all the snow melted. By afternoon, most of the snow on tree branches were gone. The ground and houses' roofs, however, remained covered in snow.

C&C welcome. Thank you for looking!

#1. Scotchtown Presbyterian Church on Blumel Road.

#2. Cemetery across the street from Presbyterian Church.

#3. Inside the cemetery.

#4. Barn on Goshen Turnpike.

#5. Corner of Goshen Turnpike and Hufcut Road.

#6. Lake Henneside in Circleville.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 6, 2009, 6:25 PM   #2
Super Moderator

still waiting on our first snow. good looking set.

#4 and #5 are really nice winter scenes.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2009, 6:56 PM   #3

Outstanding work, print those last two and hang them on the wall!!!!!!!!

Bob
bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2009, 1:17 AM   #4

all but Cemetery could be use for Christmas cards... great shots there..
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2009, 1:42 AM   #5

A couple of wall hangers for sure. You have captured a nice 3D effect in a few of your shots particularly #3. Sitting here I swear I can see the clouds moving. For the first snowfall shots Ive seen this year, you almost make me wish for one here. Almost.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2009, 3:11 AM   #6

Hi vvcarpio

Nice set. I particularly like the last photo... that was instantly (and remains) my fav of this bunch. The 3rd photo indeed has a very nice 3D cloud effect (HDR?). Imho it has a slightly awkward composition though.

Photo 4 I love for the composition and bright colours, however to me the shadows on the face of the barn are somewhat distracting. Photo 5 is another I really love. Hope you'll keep enjoying the snow.

We're into summer here in Australia... and I must admit I would only like to have snow for 1 week a year (I did live in Europe for a decade and experienced my fair share of snow, and that was enough). So at least keep sharing so at least I can 'see' it!

Cheers

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2009, 10:14 AM   #7

Thanks, Hards80. I had to shovel snow before I can get out to take pictures. Your and the othersí comments make it all worth it.

Thanks, bhammitt. You're giving me ideas. Now I have to check out how much prints cost .

Thanks, SharpShotGal. About the cemetery pics, maybe you can still use them as Christmas cards for those you find annoying? Just kidding!

Thanks, Bynx. Wow I think youíre right -- if I stare at it long enough the clouds do appear to move. Must have hit one of those optical illusions...

Thanks pj1974. I think you are very perceptive regarding #3. I did feel awkward stepping into not to mention taking pictures on burial grounds it must have shown through on the pic.

I, too, found the shadows on the barn somewhat distracting. I would probably be not as apologetic if they were Natureís shadows but theyíre not. At least two are of power line posts and one is of a no-turn-on-red sign.

My wife and I grew up in the tropical clime and as kids dreamed of seeing snow as much as any kid would dream of going to Disneyland. We have childhood friends we left behind who still dream that dream. So although we donít look forward to it we donít mind shoveling snow at all.

Thanks all for your comments!
Old Dec 9, 2009, 9:35 AM   #8

If I had all their addresses I would yep I would! and I would say something like

"I would like to wish you a merry Christmas but here with in you will find a better place to be merry for I think you have tried to to convince me that with all the anoyance I got from you this would be a better place to decorate in the prepared spot with in" Merry resting!

Yep that would do what ya think...?

Last edited by SharpShotGal; Dec 9, 2009 at 9:39 AM.
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2009, 10:05 AM   #9

Vvcarpio!

Very nice and fresh series. I like it a lot. Nice colors and lighting, which you cought well in #1, #4, #5 and #6, of which the two last-ones are my favorite. The scene by the lake with this special glow and the gentle colors is beautifully captured.

The road-picture (Goshen and Hufcut) has a solid composition which I liked at once.

I did not care much for #3 - its a difficult scene to frame with all that busy background.

Snow is difficult to picture right - you have obviuosly done your homework!

Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2009, 11:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpShotGal View Post
If I had all their addresses I would yep I would! and I would say something like

"I would like to wish you a merry Christmas but here with in you will find a better place to be merry for I think you have tried to to convince me that with all the anoyance I got from you this would be a better place to decorate in the prepared spot with in" Merry resting!

Yep that would do what ya think...?
Use really nice fonts -- the curly script ones -- and they might believe you are wishing them well. "Merry resting"? Lol!