Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Dec 8, 2009, 11:25 PM   #11

Very nice shots, again Walter. BTW...-7 Celsius would be a heat wave at this time, where I live (Western Canada).

The forecast calls for -30 degrees Celsius in a few hours.

Les
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2009, 3:43 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesmore49 View Post
Very nice shots, again Walter. BTW...-7 Celsius would be a heat wave at this time, where I live (Western Canada).

The forecast calls for -30 degrees Celsius in a few hours.

Les
Were getting the full value of global warming here in Norway. It's + 4 to + 5 degrees Celsius now.

Love your pictures Walter_S. Your camara doesn't seem to have much problems taking clear picturs, event in the dark. Do you know who high you ISO was when you took these pictures?
Alasdair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2009, 8:07 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesmore49 View Post
...BTW...-7 Celsius would be a heat wave at this time, where I live (Western Canada).
Thank you. Les!

About the temperature - Compared to what you are experiencing in Canada, minus 7 C may be a 'heath wave' - but compared to my options (which would have been to stay in bed and keep warm) - minus 7 is cold....

Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2009, 8:11 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alasdair View Post
...who high you ISO was when you took these pictures?
Thanks a lot, Alasdair!

Night-shots like this (unless there is something that moves) I always shoot at ISO100 - Otherwise there will be too much noise in the dark areas.

I guess I was lucky with these her shots, but some others I took earlier, displayed a fair amount of color-noise.

Old Dec 9, 2009, 3:06 PM   #15

I continue this series with a few more pictures. Some of them have in fact quite a lot of color-noise in the dark-blue sky.

# 4: Different White-balances meet. Lots of cold and warm lights everywhere. Don't know which one to tune the camera for...

# 5: I fiddled a lot with the White-balance on my camera and couldn't find a decent tone for these street-lights. I need to upgrade my Firm-Ware in the camera too, for better autoamtic White-Balance, which is a week spot in the G1's first edition firmware!

I am positioned a little higher than the street and shooting down over the cars to be able to see the square at the end of the street, with it's X-mas-tree.

# 6: I think I found a setting that was not too bad - I am shooting JPEG's only!!! - so I go on with this setting here.

# 7: This one has a slightly different standpoint then the others. I sat my tripod somwhat lower, onto the same level as the street itself.

# 8: This last one here is in B&W and has a rather quaint format!

Last edited by Walter_S; Dec 9, 2009 at 4:11 PM.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 3:36 PM   #16

Walter, these are all very nice, and to me, #2 is stunning, #3 not far behind. I don't normally make night shots, but may have to try. It would be hard to even come close to these, I'm afraid!

Robert
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2009, 4:19 PM   #17

Ahh, c'mon, Robert!

I think you did rather well in http://forums.steves-digicams.com/la...dom-night.html, specially in shot #5 where Mikey Mouse is hoovering on that platform - it's perfect White-Balanced and has great exposure and colors. Also #5 is a nice night-shot. And it must have been even harder to get, with that big crowd around you.

Myself, I could take all night, set up my tripod and just experimented with the settings - thats all. And nothing or nobody moved!!

But thank you for your nice comment, Hawgwild!

Old Dec 12, 2009, 2:31 PM   #18

Default Continuing:

I don't really know whether to post the next few pictures in the thread: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/la...d-my-town.html - because they belong there as well being from the Old Town, or to post them here, because its actually a continuance of the first pictures her.

And as chronological order goes in the cours of a night-shooting exercise - Morning knoks eventually on our door and shooshes away the blue darkness of the winternight with lighter skyes, an orange band on the horizon, silvery frost on trees and grass, and the pale colors are taking over from the juicy and full colors of the night.

# 9: I had two shots of this lovely bridge here...

# 10: ...and I couldn't decide which one to post, so I posted the both.

Which one do you like best?

...Panorama of 2 pictures, stitched together (below): #11
Attached Images

Quote: "Buying a camera doesn't make you a photographer. - It makes you a camera owner".
Curious about my photography?
You may look up my small portfolio on the Norwegian photo-forum: http://walter_s.foto.no/ - click - "LATEST" on left bottom of page.
You may then click any thumbnail to view the picture and click again on the displayed picture for an unobstructed full screen view. Enjoy!

Last edited by Walter_S; Dec 13, 2009 at 1:25 PM.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 2:50 PM   #19
Super Moderator

Great shots again Walter. The exposures are nice and the lighting is gorgeous. With every picture, you are making me want to visit your hometown!

I really love the 2nd shot in this series. the lampost adds a nice anchor to this shot, and really makes the shot.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2009, 3:01 PM   #20

I like #2. The lonely lamp adds a lot to the pick.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote