Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Dec 12, 2009, 6:50 PM   #21

Walter, #2 is my pick, because the entire bridge is visible, and , as Dustin and Ordo have spoken, the lamp is a very important part of the scene in #2. Not to mention, you have nicely conveyed the feeling that it is FRIGID there.

Robert
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2009, 8:28 AM   #22

I prefer #1 over #2 because of the hole in the branches which opens up the horizon and its beautiful colors. My eyes are drawn to the two smoke stacks belching up their steam frozen in time. The lamp others have mentioned is barely visible and in fact I missed it first time around. The second shot, by moving your shooting angle has created a completely different photo and feeling. Its all about the light. Maybe if it was a bit darker and the light a bit more pronounced I might enjoy it better.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2009, 12:06 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
...With every picture, you are making me want to visit your hometown!...
No problem, Hards80 - I'll show you around! But then I have only shown the "sunny side" of my town yet....

Thanks for your nice comments as well, and yes, now I can "see" the lamp as an anchor, something I never thought of befor. One doesn't analize one's own pictures with enough 'distance' to be able to really see important things. I guess feelings, more than eyes, are in the way of seeing important issues or faults in f. inst. composition, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordo View Post
I like #2. The lonely lamp adds a lot to the pick.
Same as above....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwild View Post
...Not to mention, you have nicely conveyed the feeling that it is FRIGID there.
Thanks Robert, it really was 'frigid' as you put it. I'd say - just plain cold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
I prefer #1 over #2 because of the hole in the branches which opens up the horizon and its beautiful colors. My eyes are drawn to the two smoke stacks belching up their steam frozen in time. The lamp others have mentioned is barely visible and in fact I missed it first time around...
Thank you Bynx, for you ever so analizing comments. I am picking up and learn quite a lot from them!

BTW, I do have a handfull more shots I will post, before I let this thread slipp away!

Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2009, 1:23 PM   #24

Default Continuing:

I just have anothe handfull of shot from that same night. Again two 'double'-takes because I cannot decide which take of the subjects is the 'better-one' - if there is such a thing.....

# 12 - Fully Wideangle = 28mm equivalent.

# 13 - Full tele = 90mm equivalent.

# 14 - Cannons...

# 15 - ...and the same cannons again, from the other side, this time.

And below # 16 a panorama of the view down the river from the above position (#15). I stood just where the bench is on top of the ridge and shot down the steep redoubt.

Attached Images

Last edited by Walter_S; Dec 13, 2009 at 1:26 PM.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 1:39 PM   #25
Super Moderator

of the first 2, i prefer the wide-angle, but i think your horizon is a bit off, or maybe that is just the lay of the land. the path leading in is a nice touch. not my favorite 2 in this thread, but not bad.

i prefer the 2nd of the cannon shots. the bit of warm light hitting them makes the colors pop a little more. and giving the view out towards where they are pointing is better than looking in on them. this is my favorite shot of set #12-#16.

the panorama to be honest doesn't do much for me as it really is lacking any elements that anchor the shot. nothing is standing out. i would like to see 1 or 2 major elements that stand out from the rest of the scene to give your eye a place to start at, and then move out and explore the rest of the scene from this point.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2009, 3:14 PM   #26

Those are very nice shots, Walter. People here speak out their favorites, critiques, and whatnot on your photos because I think that is what this forum is for -- to offer ways of improving everyone's craft -- so they have to, but I suspect not after a long pause of speechlessness. I, having not been properly educated in photography self- or otherwise, can simply sit back and enjoy the luxury of being just that -- speechless.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2009, 5:44 PM   #27

Every one of your shots always captures the time of day, the mood, and the lighting. So clear, its almost like Im looking out a window rather than at my screen. Just excellent stuff Walter.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2009, 3:33 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
... but i think your horizon is a bit off, or ... not my favorite 2 in this thread, but not bad.

...this is my favorite shot of set #12-#16.

the panorama to be honest doesn't do much for me as it really is lacking any elements that anchor the shot. nothing is standing out.....

Quite a lot to look after I see...

Thanks for pointing out all of the shortcomings, Hards80 - I guess I'm getting a bit 'tired' and inflation is creeping into my photography, with all these shots to sort out, and do not pay enough attention to details any more.

This is a rude awakening, but a neccesary one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvcarpio View Post
...I, having not been properly educated in photography self- or otherwise, can simply sit back and enjoy the luxury of being just that -- speechless.
Very nice to hear that, vvcarpio - Thank you for your kind words!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
Every one of your shots always captures the time of day, the mood, and the lighting...
Thanks, Bynx!
I guess thats what's wrong with me - I get carried away with moods (I'm really a 'softy' and romantic at heart...) and lighting (I get up in the middle of the night to catch a sunrise...), so much that I miss out on some stupid mistakes like the horizon, etc. etc.

But that is the way to go, if I want to learn - and this is why I am here - I tell myself....

Cheers!