Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Dec 9, 2009, 7:54 AM   #11

Default Photomatix-supporters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
...Im sure its just an adjustment in Photomatix that would fix the difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter C View Post
The Photomatrix shots have a bit more contrast and, to me, provide more depth....
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
The Photo Matrix Pro sets them off beautifully....
We seem to have a lot of Photomatix Pro-supporters here.

I used to be one as well, until I got to know Dynamic-Photos HDR better and played around som more with it. I tend to like DPHDR better now, depending on what type of shots I want to merge. Night-shots, without any daubt, get better in DPHDR. I has more potentials and has several (yet unexplored) finetuning-functions than Photomatix has. The treshold to learn DPHDR is IMO higher than Photomatix.

The downside is that the result of changes in values are only seen in a small working-area (window) in DPHDR, which is not exactly perfect for fine-tuning, wheras in Photomatix, the changes are applied on a bigger picture and therefor easier to recognise.

Photomatix tends to bring out more grain / noise in underexposed areas.

Usually one can tell when its a HDR if it was done in Photomatix. This is not always the case withDPHDR.

And, thank you for all your nice comments!

Last edited by Walter_S; Dec 9, 2009 at 9:44 AM.
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2009, 7:58 AM   #12

lesmore49 and maggo85 - Thank's a lot for your encouragment and kind comments.

I agree - the light / shine in those cobblestones make halve the picture, both in texture and colors!
Old Dec 9, 2009, 9:39 AM   #13

Thanks, Walter, for giving side by side comparisons of outputs between different HDR brands. Although I only use DPHDR, I'm beginning to like Photomatix. (Must resist shelling out another hundred bucks...)

I agree, I think I can now tell (or at least guess) if an HDR is done in Photomatix. And although you didn't say so, I think you're implying this is an important point in that any photographer would not want to give away his/her "secrets" so readily. Let 'em guess . I think that's good enough reason for me to keep my hundred bucks firmly in my pocket . (For now, anyway...)

Those are all great shots, BTW!
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2009, 2:07 PM   #14

Thanks, vvcarpio!

BTW, I just found another picture showing the same scene we have seen on page 1 - but this one is a recent shot (December 2nd) and it is in B&W.

The same cobbeled streen as above.....

# 9: ...just a slightly different angel, but still. There are even X-mas-decorations in the window upstairs to the left and in the town-square at the end of the street there is a X-mas-tree pluss a full moon in the sky!

And, I think someone has traded in the Corvett we can see in the first picture above, into a 'something else'-car, below....the owner probably got engaged....

Quote: "Buying a camera doesn't make you a photographer. - It makes you a camera owner".
Curious about my photography?
You may look up my small portfolio on the Norwegian photo-forum: http://walter_s.foto.no/ - click - "LATEST" on left bottom of page.
You may then click any thumbnail to view the picture and click again on the displayed picture for an unobstructed full screen view. Enjoy!

Last edited by Walter_S; Dec 13, 2009 at 1:27 PM.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 7:29 PM   #15

Day and Nite?
Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2009, 4:31 AM   #16

Default Well done!

WOW, Bynx!

Now that is what I call art! Just incredible the way you have joined these two shots, taken 3 monts apart, and come up with this nice illustration.

Well done, Bynx - you are the master of Photoshop!

Old Dec 10, 2009, 8:13 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgny View Post
...They look like one of the Fuji colour schemes, emulating for example the Velvia. Did you post-process any on the colours. Thought only Fuji S5 Pro could give these great results...
Hi, Torgny!

Thank you for such a nice compliment. I don't know anything about the Fuji S5 Pro, so I cannot comment on that, but I ususally do nothing more than a HDR-rendering and after down-sizing I add a little sharpening to compensate for the downsize-loss.

As for colors. Actually I have to De-saturate by 10-20% on most of the HDR's because stacking 3 pictures on top of each-other will automatically give a higher color-densisty.

Other than that I keep my PP to a minimum.

Cheers!
Old Dec 10, 2009, 2:50 PM   #18

Wow... your pictures alone, Walter is outstanding... makes me wanna move there.
The atmosphere and colors are just simply amazing !

And along comes Bynx... outstanding PP work. Frame it and I'll buy it

Flikkaarrrr
Acapulco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2009, 3:31 PM   #19
Super Moderator

very nice shots walter, i really like the night shot. tons of atmosphere in that one.

Bynx, really great editing. really makes for an interesting collage!
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2009, 3:56 PM   #20

Thanks for your kind words guys, but this was a no brainer. It took less than 5 minutes. Thats because of the nice lineup of both shots by Walter. They lent themselves to this kind of treatment nicely. Id actually like to see less of a definition in the transition area. So its almost imperceptible. Now Ive got some time I will give it another go. Wish I had the large size files to work with. But Im sure you can do the same job Walter. Just open the night scene in Photoshop. Then open the day scene, cut and paste as a new layer. Align the building features as best as you can, crop the image to the limits of both pics, then using a large eraser rub out the light area on the right side. The larger the eraser with maximum softness produces the transition. When you have it the way you want then just flatten image and thats it. I hope you give it a shot.
Attached Images

Last edited by Bynx; Dec 10, 2009 at 5:26 PM.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote