Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jan 10, 2010, 1:04 PM   #31

Default Continuing where i left in December 2009:

After the hustle and bustle of preparing for Christmas and after the New Years celebrations have passed, I once again took a trip into the 'Old Town of Fredrikstad' on the other side of the river, to breath some 'traditional air' and to walk between the old houses there, some of which are from around 1700. Also, in some places they have been able to keep the original cobble-stoned pavement in the streets - not that you see a lot of them now, they are hidden underneath the snow. The 'Old Town' is a delight for a photographer. It is for me anyway, since I'm a sucker for old things and romantic settings.

As I said in another thread of mine in the Architectural-forum: it was a bitter cold that day (day before yesterday) - the temperature was minus 18C which is 0.39999F if that conversion-page I found on the internet is correct. I spent some 3 hours in the cold and shot some nice scenes and hope that you viewers will appreciate the time and hardship involved in getting theses shots. Anyway, I went home with cold fingers, red ears, a running nose and a bursting 2-Gig memory-card full...!

N.B.: Usual C&C welcome, but please consider that most of the times, photographic considerations had to give way to informative priorities, after all the main thing here was to show pictures of my old town more that to creat photographic "wall-hangers"!

# 13
Her the town-square which I shot as a 5-exposure-HDR - handheld! I used DPHDR for my renderings.

As for the inevitable middle-exposure of this HDR, it follows below:

Attached Images

Quote: "Buying a camera doesn't make you a photographer. - It makes you a camera owner".
Curious about my photography?
You may look up my small portfolio on the Norwegian photo-forum: http://walter_s.foto.no/ - click - "LATEST" on left bottom of page.
You may then click any thumbnail to view the picture and click again on the displayed picture for an unobstructed full screen view. Enjoy!

Last edited by Walter_S; Feb 16, 2010 at 2:28 PM.
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 7:34 AM   #32

First of all I have to thank you for going out if it's that cold and shoot such beautiful pictures - I really appreciate that Walter, because I love to see your shots

Thanks to DPHDR that this HDR came out that good although you shot the single exposures handheld! It's again a nice HDR, like the color of the house in the middle.

The only thing that's a little (really just a little for me) distracting is that you cut off the top of the tree

Last edited by maggo85; Jan 11, 2010 at 7:35 AM. Reason: Spelling mistakes
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 1:24 PM   #33

Default Trees with their top on:

I'm sorry about the tree, maggo85 - but as I said. It's easy to say: 'I should have seen this and that' - when one is sitting comfortable in a warm house.

Quite another thing is to do it when its bitter cold outside, cars are driving by all the time (you dont want to see a brand-new Mercedes Benz driving through this old town, do you?), your camera's battery is near exhaustion and you have to keep that nose-drip from soiling your camera's LCD....

:-))

As some form of compensation to you, I'll post this picture of the same town-square, but from the time before Christmas and before the snow and cold, December 13th. There are several trees there that I have been able to frame, without cutting it's top off.............!

# 14
Pre-Christmas scene with handycraft-stalls selling "stuff"......

Last edited by Walter_S; Feb 16, 2010 at 2:28 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 1:37 PM   #34

I'm sorry Walter, this wasn't ment to be an accusation - I don't think that I would go out and take pictures when it's cold like that... that's a fact I admire you for

I guess the oldtown is usually a more quiet and calm place than it was on that day you captured the second pic, which I like a lot... I don't know, your pictures have that special look which really appeals to me

Anyway, both are beatiful pictures - thank you for going out shooting in that inhuman cold and sharing your fantastic photos with us Walter!

Last edited by maggo85; Jan 11, 2010 at 1:37 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 2:30 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggo85 View Post
-I'm sorry Walter, this wasn't ment to be an accusation

-your pictures have that special look which really appeals to me
No-no!
- No offence taken, maggo85 - didn't you see my smily? Like that: :-)) which means i am making a joke! I don't get angry about small things like that, after all, this is a forum for friendly discussions.

- this 'special' look, as you call it, is the Panasonic-look. And I thank you for the kind comments!

Old Jan 16, 2010, 8:22 AM   #36

Default Continuing our trip around the town...

We have mid-winter now, and my soul and body are aching for some lighter, sunnyier days, with warmer temperatures and with no ice and snow all around us. The annual winter-depressions have set in and I need to cure myself by posting a few pictures from pre-snowfall times (December 13th - 2009).

That day is was at least sunny, even though the temperatures were winter-like. Properly clothed against the ever-blowing north-easterly, equipped with gloves, tripod and an eye for peculiaryties in this old town, I set off with my Panasonic Lumix G1 and a freshly charged battery....

I'll have to quote myself here to get things moving into the right directions...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_S View Post
...to breath some 'traditional air' and to walk between the old houses there, some of which are from around 1700. Also, in some places they have been able to keep the original cobble-stoned pavement in the streets - not that you see a lot of them now, they are hidden underneath the snow...
As I was talking (boasting rather...) about these kobbelstoned streets and pavemants, I really have to include one or twoo shots of them for you to see:

# 15 - This is exactly what I ment with it. This shot is a 5-exposure HDR in DPHDR's "Eye Catching"-style.

# 16 - Here is another tone-mapping of the same 5 exposures, called "Ultra Contrast", to give us a bit more contrast and make the stones stand out more. Personally not my choice, but some may find it attractive. There really are no rules.

Stay tuned, I'll have som more 'pre-snow & ice'-pictures coming here today!

Last edited by Walter_S; Feb 16, 2010 at 2:29 PM. Reason: Spelling errors :o/
Old Jan 16, 2010, 8:51 AM   #37

Default Armament:

Now, an old fortified town like this ought to have some deterring armament also, to try and scare off any potentially enemies. What we have here are socalled 12-pounders (whatever that means) which are the lighter cannons placed, usually in pairs, on top of the steep redoubts. The bigger version, on 4 heavy wooden wheels, are the 16-pounders.

# 17 - The view across the river onto the other side of town,

# 18 - The cannon-positions and redoubts are all in 2 hight-levels, where the heavier cannons are placed on the top-deck of the upper redoubt.

# 19 - Another pair of 12-pounders gleaming in the afternoon-sun.

Have a peacefull week-end, eveybody!

Last edited by Walter_S; Feb 16, 2010 at 2:30 PM.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 6:58 PM   #38

Hello Walter_s, I'm new here.
Let me say that i'm very impressed with your work, beautiful pictures!!!!
Next month i'm going to purchase an FZ 35 and want to leran something.
I wonder if you could describe the process you do to make these wonderful HDR's.
Last question: you shoot in RAW?
Thanks and sorry for my english (i'm from southamerica)
Edufloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2010, 9:50 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_S View Post
Now, an old fortified town like this ought to have some deterring armament also, to try and scare off any potentially enemies. What we have here are socalled 12-pounders (whatever that means) which are the lighter cannons placed, usually in pairs, on top of the steep redoubts. The bigger version, on 4 heavy wooden wheels, are the 16-pounders.

The view across the river onto the other side of town,

The cannon-positions and redoubts are all in 2 hight-levels, where the heavier cannons are placed on the top-deck of the upper redoubt.

Another pair of 12-pounders gleaming in the afternoon-sun.

Have a peacefull week-end, eveybody!
Very nice once again walter. I really like how you frame the first on in this series.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 10:02 PM   #40

Beautiful work....... Inspiring and somewhat intimidating.

Thanks for sharing a part of your corner of the earth, your efforts and your art !
Strobe is offline   Reply With Quote