Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Dec 8, 2009, 2:37 PM   #1

Default Gamle (Old) Fredrikstad - My town:

I'm not sure whether this thread really belongs here or in the Architectural-forum. It's mainly about my hometown Fredrikstad in Norway, and as such it is more than just architectural shots. It's more a picture-tour of a towns character. But, if one of the Super Moderators thinks it rather belongs there, then please feel free to move it!

Anyway. I just wanted to post a few pictures of the Old Town of Fredrikstad, and some of its streets and surroundings. With its big Redoubt around the Old Town, Fredrikstad is the most complete and best kept fortified Town in Northern Europe.

See: http://lokalhistoriewiki.no/index.php/Gamlebyen_i_Fredrikstad

We go there, early in the morning, while the town is still asleep!

#1 - HDR in Photomatix Pro:

#2 - HDR in Dynamic-Photo HDR:

#3 - HDR in Photomatix Pro:

I am sorry about those cars. They shouldn't be there, but I couldn't just wake up everyone and ask them to move their cars, now could I? And I am sorry about the ghosting-artifacts on the top of the picture. Foliage and wind never go together well, when it comes to making an HDR...

#4 - HDR in Dynamic-Photo HDR:

#5 - HDR in Photomatix Pro:
In front of the outer row of houses we can find the beginning of its fortifications. First several rows of old trees....

#6 - The Redoubts as fortification.
...and outside the row of trees are the redoubts and its place for the cannons. And further outwards we find the water-filled trenches distancing any enemy (befor the age of airoplanes!!) from the town itself.

#7 - This is the street leading into the Old part of the town - we are looking from the old town towards the new town. It is still early. The sun had just come over the horizon and its low rays gives this picture its characteristic. Few people and som cars are starting to populate the streets...

And surprise, surprise - it's not even a HDR. This is a single shot!

All shots made with my old trusted friend, the Panasonic FZ-28

Last edited by Walter_S; Dec 8, 2009 at 2:54 PM.
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 8, 2009, 2:44 PM   #2
Super Moderator

i love this set. you really live in a picturesque part of the world, do you take visitors??

i really like the dynamic photos renditions of the first 2 scenes.

my favorite photo is #7 the street shot. i love the perspective and the parallel diagonals created by the stones in the sidewalk and the street. and the lone person walking.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2009, 2:59 PM   #3

Yes! Lots of visitors come to Fredrikstad every year.

Hey! And #7 is not even a HDR! It's a single shot. I agree with you that the first 4 shots are just made for HDR. #3 looks almost like a cut-out toy-town, or one of those cartoon-drawings of an old town. The rest is a bit 'over the top'.

Thank you for your kind words, Hards80!

BTW - I forgot. To give you a decent picture of the fortifications I should add this here shot as well. It shows the depht of the redaubts (all man-made with shovels and ox-carts!) and gives you some idea of the scale as well.

# 8

You can even see one of the cannons her.

Last edited by Walter_S; Dec 9, 2009 at 12:51 AM.
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2009, 7:31 PM   #4

The ghosting artifacts in the 3rd and 4th shots can be easily fixed with a layer in Photoshop. All outstanding shots. Between 1 and 2 it seems I like 2 over 1. Its overall flatter than 2 but the details in shadow/highlight is better. Im sure its just an adjustment in Photomatix that would fix the difference.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2009, 7:47 PM   #5

The Photomatrix shots have a bit more contrast and, to me, provide more depth. These are great shots of a lovely town, Walter.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2009, 8:07 PM   #6

A wonderful tour of your town. In #3 and #4 I can imagine horse drawn carriages in place of the automobiles.

Regards
bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2009, 9:21 PM   #7

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_S View Post
I'm not sure whether this thread really belongs here or in the Architectural-forum. It's mainly about my hometown Fredrikstad in Norway, and as such it is more than just architectural shots. It's more a picture-tour of a towns character. But, if one of the Super Moderators thinks it rather belongs there, then please feel free to move it!

Anyway. I just wanted to post a few pictures of the Old Town of Fredrikstad, and some of its streets and surroundings. With its big Redoubt around the Old Town, Fredrikstad is the most complete and best kept fortified Town in Northern Europe.

See: http://lokalhistoriewiki.no/index.php/Gamlebyen_i_Fredrikstad

We go there, early in the morning, while the town is still asleep!

#1 - HDR in Photomatix Pro:

#2 - HDR in Dynamic-Photo HDR:

#3 - HDR in Photomatix Pro:

I am sorry about those cars. They shouldn't be there, but I couldn't just wake up everyone and ask them to move their cars, now could I? And I am sorry about the ghosting-artifacts on the top of the picture. Foliage and wind never go together well, when it comes to making an HDR...

#4 - HDR in Dynamic-Photo HDR:

#5 - HDR in Photomatix Pro:
In front of the outer row of houses we can find the beginning of its fortifications. First several rows of old trees....

#6 - The Redoubts as fortification.
...and outside the row of trees are the redoubts and its place for the cannons. And further outwards we find the water-filled trenches distancing any enemy (befor the age of airoplanes!!) from the town itself.

#7 - This is the street leading into the Old part of the town - we are looking from the old town towards the new town. It is still early. The sun had just come over the horizon and its low rays gives this picture its characteristic. Few people and som cars are starting to populate the streets...

And surprise, surprise - it's not even a HDR. This is a single shot!

All shots made with my old trusted friend, the Panasonic FZ-28

Walter,

The colours in your last threads are really great. They look like one of the Fuji colour schemes, emulating for example the Velvia.

Did you post-process any on the colours. Thought only Fuji S5 Pro could give these great results

Desolation Row (Bob Dylan) comes to my mind

//T
Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2009, 10:29 PM   #8

Fantastic shots, Walter-

The Photo Matrix Pro sets them off beautifully.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2009, 11:20 PM   #9

Great shots Walter. I like the cars in the picture. Nice, older Corvette in one of them. I'm sure it has an interesting story, American high performance car in Northern Europe.

Beautiful city, very colourful...the cobblestones have a fascinating pattern...obviously talented individuals laid those stones . You've caught a very nice light in the pictures, early morning I would say.

Les

Last edited by lesmore49; Dec 8, 2009 at 11:22 PM.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2009, 12:41 AM   #10

Very nice series Walter! Fredrikstad has a really beautiful old town and you captured it just perfect.

I prefer the Photomatix versions over the DPHDR ones - more contrast, more details (just my opinion).

My favourites are #1 (great colors) and #5 (fantastic composition)!
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote