Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Dec 12, 2009, 2:01 AM   #11

A really great series, vvcarpio - my favourite day shot is #3, cause I love the composition! You brought out some very nice details in theses three shots, just great!

Now the nightshots - I'm amazed by #2! Absolutely fantastic colour and detail, definetly overwelming for me
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2009, 5:13 AM   #12

Thanks a lot for the nice compliments, maggo85 .

I am simply amazed at Photoshop Elements' sharpen tool. I can understand color being brought out by a computer program because most likely, the color that my eyes can't see is there it's just hidden in a too dark or too bright picture. But detail? The icicles on the sharpened pictures I posted were nothing like the dull-looking icicles that DPHDR generated. I don't know where PE is pulling the detail from it's amazing.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2009, 11:16 AM   #13

Nice shots, you are a braver man then me to go shoot photos in the freezing weather, it was like 20 for the low last night. Dress warmly if you plan on shooting more of the nice icing of NYC at night.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2009, 1:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvcarpio View Post
....On the following web page, if you click on the image, it will flipflop between the pin-wrapped and not-pin-wrapped versions of the same image: Sample Pin-Wrap Image
This was really educational, vvcarpio. Thanks a lot for all the detailed description and the modus operandi of it all. There, now I know more and I will make some tests tomorrow with the pin-warping thing.

You know, I never read user manuals - its probably right there for me to look up - but instead of doing just that I feel I should instictively know how a software works just by looking at its controls.

Thanks again vvcarpio - you have taken the 'fear' of trying something new, away from me!

And BTW: Your night-shots of this fountain are great, with all those details and colors. #2 - The cup from below is really a powerful shot with impact!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvcarpio View Post
...I don't know where PE is pulling the detail from it's amazing.
It doesn't! It just adds contrast to the light and dark transitions - I think is what I read sometimes....

Last edited by Walter_S; Dec 12, 2009 at 1:26 PM.
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2009, 8:42 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Nice shots, you are a braver man then me to go shoot photos in the freezing weather, it was like 20 for the low last night. Dress warmly if you plan on shooting more of the nice icing of NYC at night.
Thanks, shoturtle! Bryant Park is midway my daily crosstown walk (Grand to Port Authority) so I've built up enough body heat for a few minutes of shooting at Bryant Park then continue on my walk re-building the lost body heat.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 8:44 PM   #16

That works
Old Dec 12, 2009, 8:54 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_S View Post
This was really educational, vvcarpio. Thanks a lot for all the detailed description and the modus operandi of it all. There, now I know more and I will make some tests tomorrow with the pin-warping thing.

You know, I never read user manuals - its probably right there for me to look up - but instead of doing just that I feel I should instictively know how a software works just by looking at its controls.

Thanks again vvcarpio - you have taken the 'fear' of trying something new, away from me!

And BTW: Your night-shots of this fountain are great, with all those details and colors. #2 - The cup from below is really a powerful shot with impact!

It doesn't! It just adds contrast to the light and dark transitions - I think is what I read sometimes....
You're welcome and thanks, Walter. It was a pleasure to share what I found out.

About reading consumer software manuals, me neither, I don't read them. I actually thought that for you to come up with the stunning images you make so consistently, you must be reading the manual. That plus I didn't want to bother asking you all the time how you did this and that (and risk getting the reply that we in the IT community give to others: "Read the manual!"). So I started reading DPHDR's manual.

Your explanation about PE's sharpen tool makes sense. Still, I am in awe. MDIS doesn't do half as good IMO.

On the other hand, I think MDIS' auto-levels work a lot better than PE's. Even in MDIS, I could not reproduce the effect its auto-levels creates by manually sliding controls. So I still use MDIS along with PE.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 9:01 PM   #18

What camera did you shot them with?
Old Dec 12, 2009, 9:55 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
What camera did you shot them with?
Sony A350 with kit lens 18-70mm.