Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Dec 11, 2009, 9:28 AM   #1

Default Fountain at Bryant Park

This is probably nothing for some of you but this is how cold it is early this December morning in New York City. Weather.com says it's 24 degrees -- 8 degrees below freezing -- and I believe it.

It's funny however how it doesn't feel as cold as it is when I'm holding a camera...

These are all taken handheld. I used DPHDR's pin-warping technology extensively (the greatest invention ever, AFAIAC -- my wife and I get a kick out of using it ) to line up different parts of the image. C&C welcome. Thank you for looking!

#1.

#2.

#3.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 11, 2009, 10:11 AM   #2

Dear "Frozen Fingers"
Nicely done. I especially like #2, which is less "busy" than #1 and IMO better composed than #3.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2009, 11:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter C View Post
Dear "Frozen Fingers"
Nicely done. I especially like #2, which is less "busy" than #1 and IMO better composed than #3.
Thanks, Walter. I did feel the frostbite as soon as I was done.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 12:06 PM   #4

I like #1 cause the HDR effect shows lots of detail, lights, etc.
BTW: I've been fooling around with trial versions of Photomatix and Dynamic Photo and can't get a decent result. And I'm using a tripod and the whole parafernalia. You guys are really doing a great job!
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2009, 12:06 PM   #5

Nice shots. Im surprised they havent turned the fountain off and drained the water for winter.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2009, 1:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordo View Post
I like #1 cause the HDR effect shows lots of detail, lights, etc.
BTW: I've been fooling around with trial versions of Photomatix and Dynamic Photo and can't get a decent result. And I'm using a tripod and the whole parafernalia. You guys are really doing a great job!
Thanks a lot, Ordo. I remember, too, when I was struggling with DPHDR. Then I started reading the manual and saw pin-warping. I was immediately hooked.

I still haven't read all of the manual -- I'm probably halfway thru and even then don't yet understand some of what I've read -- so I'm hoping for more pleasant surprises.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 1:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
Nice shots. Im surprised they havent turned the fountain off and drained the water for winter.
Thanks, Bynx. I'm glad they didn't turn off the water yet. I'm running out of interesting things to photograph -- along my narrow path to work anyway .
Old Dec 11, 2009, 1:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvcarpio View Post
...I used DPHDR's pin-warping technology extensively (the greatest invention ever, AFAIAC -- my wife and I get a kick out of using it ) to line up different parts of the image...

Cold is cold, no matter where you are (and freeze your fingers off...).
Very nice takes, vvcarpio! Almost wrote "classical" vvcarpio-style - lol...

Lots of details and good composition, within that crowded space you have at your disposal to do anything 'artistic' - Well done.

I am most intrigued and very courious abouth this pin-warping techn. you mention. I have seen the pin-warp function but don't know how it works. Would you care to explain some, give a little tutorial for us other amateurs?

Give a little back to the HDR-crowd? I am dying to learn that pin-warping-thing!

May-be it should be posted in the specialized HDR-thread, for futur use and other viewers as well?

Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2009, 3:28 PM   #9

Hi, Walter! I’m not the best instructor but I’ll try...

After loading the 3 image files, DPHDR does its best to align the image files and displays the "Align Files" window where you can do some more image alignment. There’s a window within the “Align Files” window that shows you a portion of the overlaid images at a time. To the right of the image-window there’s an “Align View” button. Below the image-window there’s an “Add Pin” button (below the “X” and “Y” knobs). You most likely already know all this -- this is just to give you a bearing on where I am.

(There’s also the “Center” button to the right of the “X” and “Y” knobs which I use to bring me back to the center of the image, in case I moved somewhere else in the image-window before putting pins and want to go back to the center.)

While I’m still on the center of the image, I first click “Add Pin” which adds a red pin on the center of the image. I then move around to different parts of the image looking for spots where the images don’t line up. I click “Align Image” whenever I want to align the images. This adds another red pin on the portion of the image visible in the image-window. As I add each pin (by clicking “Align Image”) I see minor adjustments made by DPHDR before my eyes. This is what I mean by my wife and I getting a kick out of DPHDR -- instant gratification .

What happens when I add a pin is DPHDR distorts the visible portion in the image-window ever so slightly so the overlaid images can line up. If I do this “tile-by-tile” across the entire image then I would have the whole overlaid images lined-up, even if I didn’t use a tripod when I took the pictures.

I pay particular attention to street signs or lines between bricks because unaligned letters (on the street signs) or brick walls are most visible to the eye.

I hope this helps.

On the following web page, if you click on the image, it will flipflop between the pin-wrapped and not-pin-wrapped versions of the same image:

Sample Pin-Wrap Image

Last edited by vvcarpio; Dec 11, 2009 at 10:51 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 10:43 PM   #10

I took some more shots on the way home. Both images below are taken handheld although I used a chair and the fountain's perimeter wall for support with a finger wedged at the bottom of the camera to aim up.

#4.

#5.

BTW, I just recently added Photoshop Elements 7 to my photo-editing tools. So basically, to create the above 5 images, I did the following:

1) Created HDR image with DPHDR.
2) Used Microsoft Digital Image Suite's (MDIS) one-click "auto level" to increase brightness, contrast, and whatever else it does to improve the image.
3) Used Photoshop Elements' (PE) "sharpen" tool.

I find PE's sharpen tool to be better than MDIS'. However, I find MDIS' auto level function better than PE's.