Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Dec 12, 2009, 7:14 PM   #1

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni
Default Energy

Arendals udden; Cape Arendal
Attached Images

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 13, 2009, 9:27 PM   #2

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

There still is darkness, ladies and gentlemen
Attached Images

Last edited by Torgny; Dec 13, 2009 at 9:48 PM.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 9:28 PM   #3

The choice may be clear
Attached Images

Last edited by Torgny; Dec 13, 2009 at 9:37 PM.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 2:25 AM   #4

Power-poles and wind-turbines are not exactly beautiful to look at, but what a sky you have pictured there in #3, Torgny. Terriffic colors and tones from yellow all the way to lilac, its all there.

BTW - the longer you look at them, the better they become, those wind-turbines. Not a natural shape but quite smooth, cool and with a special slick and effective form.

I guess we have to get used to them, so we might as well accept them...
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2009, 2:29 AM   #5
Banned

Default hi its looks interesting!!!!!!!!

Affordable SEO solutions at your hands.
nehaworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2009, 7:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_S View Post
Power-poles and wind-turbines are not exactly beautiful to look at, but what a sky you have pictured there in #3, Torgny. Terriffic colors and tones from yellow all the way to lilac, its all there.

BTW - the longer you look at them, the better they become, those wind-turbines. Not a natural shape but quite smooth, cool and with a special slick and effective form.

I guess we have to get used to them, so we might as well accept them...

Walter,

I have some 6 GiBi pictures with these "friendly monsters" from the cape. Personally I think they are beautiful.

I'll go through one of my drives and find a couple of pictures, not shared before, I hope, that can appeal to anybody.

Risky, yes, I know

What is beautiful or not is a mystery. Took a course in estethics as a part of Practical Philosophy a few years ago and formed a personal, but in no way uncommon, view:

Beauty is a "function of function". And estethic values are always secondary to ethical values.

I could elaborate on that since this is a discussion forum but I just want to give a possible entrance to a discussion what makes a picture "beautiful"

Another matter is: do pictures have to be beautiful

Hilsen

//Torgny

Last edited by Torgny; Dec 16, 2009 at 2:47 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 8:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgny View Post
...Another matter is: do pictures have to be beautiful?
Not neccesaryly, but they have to be "engaging" to be of any use, other than shere column-fillers in magazines, newspapers, etc. etc.

In this forum a picture has to erouse somebody's couriosity, either in a negative or positive way, and that's by definition engaging, I guess....

Either way, it is very difficult to keep up a discussion and make som good points on ethics in a foreigh language - one is striving to find the fitting word or phrases, and ususally, if you just translate word for word from your own native tungue to another language, then it usually sounds corny and artificial, more than it sounds right....

have a nice day!
;o)
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2009, 2:48 PM   #8

I rather like the windmills (we have them around, too). They can make interesting shapes and patterns, depending on how they are photographed - these are better than what I've managed so far. And the sky is just awesome, making the pictures special. A utilitarian object can have it's own beauty and be interesting, just like some natural things can be ugly.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2009, 6:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
I rather like the windmills (we have them around, too). They can make interesting shapes and patterns, depending on how they are photographed - these are better than what I've managed so far. And the sky is just awesome, making the pictures special. A utilitarian object can have it's own beauty and be interesting, just like some natural things can be ugly.
mtngal,

Agree totally with you. Remains to define "beauty". These pictures above are a little part of the energy discussion

There are worse weapons than cameras in the struggle

Also have pictures that I myself consider as beautiful in their own right

Still beauty is a mystery

Torgny
Attached Images

Last edited by Torgny; Dec 18, 2009 at 6:23 AM.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 7:57 AM   #10

I do not consider wind turbines to be unsightly. There is a large wind farm near my home. When I drive down the highway, and over a rise, they come into view, and are very awe-inspiring.
Attached Images

neilcrichton is offline   Reply With Quote