Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Dec 31, 2009, 4:37 AM   #11

As always, a very nice series from you, vvcarpio!
My, my, you are a buisy photographer. A new series every second day. It's almost so one doesn't get to digest one befor a new one comes along. This smells obsession and real commitment and determination!

Many good one her, of which my favorites are 1, 3 ,5 and 7 - with #5 Bethesda Terrace, having an extra appeal to me, because in one shot you have been able to show a great deal here, architecture, landscape, people, mood, weather and season. Very good and interesting picture.

As for the shoulder-to-shoulder street-crowd and the bumper-to-bumper traffic situation..... I don't know how you guys can stand it every day, I guess you have to be born into such an environment to like it.
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 5:39 AM   #12

great shots!
thats just how i imagine NYC to be
the one with taxi's reminds me of the movie die hard 3
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 9:12 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_S View Post
...My, my, you are a buisy photographer. A new series every second day. It's almost so one doesn't get to digest one befor a new one comes along. This smells obsession and real commitment and determination! ...
I suppose you can call it that -- "obsession". We even take our kids out in the cold so my wife and I can take pictures.

Temperature was supposed to be mild in the upper 30s -- balmy by winter standards -- but as the day progressed the temperature dipped to near freezing.

Our daughter at one point asked if I could buy her a winter hat. I promised her I would once we find a store selling winter clothing. I knew it was a promise hard to keep knowing that only foodstuff was sold in the park. But I had to make the kids hold out for as long as they could so my wife and I can take the photographs we so wanted to take.

Eventually, though, it was getting so cold we had to cut our walk short. The kids started feeling the cold bite and so my wife and I decided it was time to go. No hobby was worth risking the kids getting sick.

Fortunately, however, we made it to our intended destination before we stopped. Bow Bridge is the same destination we failed to reach in November because we couldn't find it then and it was getting late.

When we exited Central Park we didn't find any winter hats for our daughter. But we did find a subway station so we took it instead of walking back the dozen blocks to where we started from.

Before leaving Central Park our son decided it was a fun trip and said that we should go back there in the summertime.

I said that's a promise that's easy enough to keep.

Obsession indeed!

Thanks, Walter!

#10. My family waits for the bridge in the southwest corner of Central Park to clear so they can take pictures.

Last edited by vvcarpio; Dec 31, 2009 at 9:25 AM. Reason: I forgot to say -- thanks!
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 9:22 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazuya View Post
great shots!
thats just how i imagine NYC to be
the one with taxi's reminds me of the movie die hard 3
Yes, I also remember "Independence Day" and "Godzilla", among others.

Here's a shot I took of my son in September when I was just starting out in photography. When I asked him if he wanted me to take a picture of him in Times Square, he turned his back on me and started looking up at the sky. I didn't know why he did so then but the following day I found out when he asked me if I did anything with his picture yet. I asked, "What do you mean?" He said, "Well you can put King Kong in it." So I did. Mystery solved.

Thanks, kazuya!
Old Dec 31, 2009, 9:28 AM   #15

Fantasy is a great thing!

Well done.
Alasdair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 9:49 AM   #16

Thanks, Alasdair!
Old Jan 2, 2010, 2:56 AM   #17

Fantastic shots vv - I love the "two sides" of NYC, on one side the busy streets with it's hustle and bustle and on the other side the Central Park with it's calm, chilly places that you've capture really great
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 8:54 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggo85 View Post
Fantastic shots vv - I love the "two sides" of NYC, on one side the busy streets with it's hustle and bustle and on the other side the Central Park with it's calm, chilly places that you've capture really great
Judging from the C&C I received here, I think I'm beginning to have an idea why so many who visit New York fail to see New York's calmer side. Although the somewhat serene photos I took of NYC are a pretty accurate rendition, what they don't show is what you have to fight through to get there, which my crowd and traffic pictures show, such that by the time you get to the quiet spots you're too exhausted and too spent to appreciate anything.

Thanks a lot, maggo85, for your "comments and compliments" -- a new backronym (at least to me) for "C&C".
Old Jan 3, 2010, 9:31 PM   #19

vvcarpio: what lenses are you using? They show great definition.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 9:36 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordo View Post
vvcarpio: what lenses are you using? They show great definition.
I'm using the 18-70mm kit lens that came in the same box as the A350 body.

I'm also using PSE to sharpen my images. I hope this helps.