Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jan 2, 2010, 9:12 AM   #11
spy

Thank you very much again for taking the time to comment! The best feeling ever though is to stand there and take it all in.

Here is one more version then I'll quit and move on.
Attached Images

spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2010, 10:41 AM   #12

Default Great and mystical!

I can see Saruman and Gandalf!

Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2010, 4:19 PM   #13
Super Moderator

this last one is my absolute favorite!

love the cool black and white tones, love the grandeur imparted by the composition emphasizing the peak of the left mountain. and the sky is perfectly dramatic.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2010, 6:38 PM   #14
Super Moderator

Kevin, please stop posting such wonderful shots, you are making me feel inadequate!!!!

OK so getting over my shortcomings as a photographer, you've done a simply amazing job with these and the last two are my favorites. What sort of editing do you do to give the amazing feel that you always manage to create?

Hope you are having an amazing 2010.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 1:09 AM   #15
spy

Many thanks again to everyone for commenting!

Mark there is much of my editing that can not be explained as the process is so different for each one. I can say that a couple important features I look for to 'set the stage' so to speak for my images is to take the shot when the lighting is right. Ideally, it is a scene lit by the moon. I also will choose a location I want to photograph and will watch the weather reports looking for incoming cloud and similar systems moving in which add drama and mood to the photo. If I have a location in mind that is 3 to 6 hours away, I'm only going there once.

The last photo above was shot at 3:14am so I had a lot of deep dark tones and because of the moon, the clouds were already quite moody. I took this photo and turned it into B/W then under- exposed it until the clouds and highlights within looked just right. The stars faded away somewhat doing this so I used the dodge tool to brighten them up again. Some further highlights dodging was done on the snow until it all looked just right. However though, post editing plays just a part in how the image finally looks as much of the shot is already done well in advance in my mind. I will then wait for the conditions and then go on a moments notice to get the shot.

Hope this helped Mark and please... you are so far from inadequate you deserve plenty of high regard for your work in sports and wedding photography. Landscapes is now something your diving into and with all that great gear of yours, ....you've got it made!

My new year has been very good so far as it's been almost a couple weeks just kick'n around not having to go to work...done some shooting......drinking lots of coffee! Yes, it's been bliss. I hope too that your 2010 far exceeds that of 09 and that goes out to every one here.

Last edited by spy; Jan 3, 2010 at 1:12 AM.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 6:16 AM   #16
NHL

Great works!!!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 11:19 AM   #17
spy

Thank you NHL!
Old Jan 3, 2010, 11:51 AM   #18
Super Moderator

Spy,

just a quick technical question. Your processing was pretty much what I expected based on your photos. I was just wondering whether you use the dodge/burn tools or if you do your dodging and burning via lightning and darkening layers and then remove them via brushes?

i know alot of people advocate the layer method. and i have tried it a few times, but I honestly don't see a huge difference versus using the dodge/burn tools in cs4 (which I think are much better than they were in cs2)
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 12:57 PM   #19
spy

I've actually never tried doing the burning/dodging using layers. I find that I make slight adjustments until it either feels or looks right. If I've gone too far with an adjustment, I'll just delete history until it's right, much like going over board with layers and using the adjustment sliders to backtrack.