Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Dec 31, 2009, 4:28 PM   #1
spy

Default Lake Louise at Night, Alberta/Light Painting

Coming to the end of the year, I wanted to do something special that required a lot of work and one place in mind I wanted to go was to Lake Louise. I actually didn't know the ice castle was built yet on the lake but I sure hoped it was.

I left my home around 7:30pm, driving through Banff at around 9pm making a stop at Vermilion Lakes to photograph Mount Rundle in the dark, I actually ended up light painting Elk that were all around me...hundreds of them walking around, and even beside the vehicle causing me to stop and wait as the herd crossed the road.

Finishing that spot, it was off to Lake Louise getting there around midnight. To my surprise the ice castle was built!! The Hotel had two large spot lamps lighting the whole skating rink where the ice castle was standing so I wondered up to the front desk of the Hotel and asked them if they wouldn't mind shutting off the lamps as I wanted to light paint the structure. Security went out right away and pulled the plug for me which was very kind of them to do as it was such a long drive to get there and I only had this one chance to do the shot.

It was -22 out there and though my tripod froze up and didn't want to work for me very well the camera worked as though nothing bothered it. I must have been out there a total of about an hour or so before heading back to the truck.

The lightpainted ice castle is 4, 25 second images "stacked" in PS CS4 and the structure was light painted from behind to enhance the detail of the ice.

The other lake shot is 4 landscape photos stitched together and includes the lake boat house on the left.

I hope you all enjoy and have yourselves a great New Year!!

5d MarkII, 24 - 70 2.8
(uploading these images, the website dropped down the size to around 80 kb which effected the quality of images)
Attached Images

Last edited by spy; Dec 31, 2009 at 4:32 PM.
spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 31, 2009, 4:58 PM   #2

Thanks so much for sharing those shots made with much difficulty. I especially like #1. Happy New Year!
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 5:20 PM   #3

Very nice. I have been there once and it is a spectacular place.
rlewis0083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 6:43 PM   #4
spy

Thanks for commenting. I have a feeling I'm going to be working on the whole batch for awhile tonight! What better way to bring in the New Year!
Attached Images

Old Dec 31, 2009, 6:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by spy View Post
Thanks for commenting. I have a feeling I'm going to be working on the whole batch for awhile tonight! What better way to bring in the New Year!
I like the last one you posted......alot. Happy New Year Spy
Old Dec 31, 2009, 8:47 PM   #6
Super Moderator

really great set spy.

#3, the lit up shack next to the mountains is just a classic winter scene, and quite lovely.

and i love the composition in #4 that you just posted. the water is a nice lead in to the scene and overall gives a dramatic look.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2010, 3:23 PM   #7
spy

Thanks jeephotog and Hards80 for the comments. I didn't actually like what happened with stitching the 4 images together for the cottage on the lake posted above so here is another of it only this time I used 2 different ones to make the shot.
Attached Images

Old Jan 1, 2010, 8:17 PM   #8

Like this one. Definitely a keeper!
Old Jan 2, 2010, 3:18 AM   #9

Wow. Just wow. The beauty of this pics is unbelievable, spy! Especially your last one (post #7) makes me sit here with my mouth open just can't get over my astonishment (hope the last sentence is correct english ) - amazing!
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2010, 5:28 AM   #10

Good series, spy!

That last post - #7 gives me a feeling of something out of J. R. R. Tolkien's books or a scene from one of the "The lord of the rings"-movies. Most impressive is the woods, where the trees stand tall and almost in line and rows, as if an army has conquered the mountain-sides.

Good work...!
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote