Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jan 3, 2010, 9:26 PM   #1

Default New Year's Eve, NYC

I took a walk around NYC hoping to snap some interesting photos on New Year's Eve but didn't come up with any -- or so I think. My wife thinks otherwise. So I HDR-edited some of them here. C&C welcome. Thanks for looking!

#1. Newsstand in Times Square ready to make a killing on the night's festivity. I say that because he's also selling winter bonnets -- not a regular item in his store I don't think.

#2. Times Square facing north. The stage seems already all set for the night's broadcast so early in the morning.

#3. Times Square facing south. You can barely see it but the unlit 2010 sign is already there. The ball, however, isn't. (Or at least I don't see it even in my other shots.)

#4. Two girls pose inside the Good Morning America studio while their friend outside takes a picture of them.

#5. It snowed "wet snow" in the morning. (And rained at midnight.) This is the northwest corner of Bryant Park on 6th and 42nd.

#6. Sidewalk vendor on 40th and 7th selling 2010 paraphernalia.

#7. Boxes and boxes of Nivea Cream-sponsored crowd giveaways -- blue hats, make-noise balloons, etc. -- line 7th Avenue sidewalk on 42nd street.

#8. They're still there -- the adult shows, I mean -- albeit in pathetic quantity here and there compared to the old days. This one is along 8th Avenue near 42nd Street.

Does it work that I took this shot from a distance? I don't dare go near it as someone might take a picture of me.

Last edited by vvcarpio; Jan 3, 2010 at 9:41 PM. Reason: Added locations of adult show shop and wet snow scene.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2010, 8:12 AM   #2
sds

Thanks for the great pictures of NY.
sds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2010, 10:42 AM   #3

Well done. A series that brings us to the Big Apple on New Year's Eve.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2010, 12:46 PM   #4

Thanks, sds and Walter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter C View Post
...A series that brings us to the Big Apple on New Year's Eve.
That was the intent.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 4:42 AM   #5

Another great NYC series - it's really interesting to see how New Year's Eve or the preparations for the evening looks like all around the world

Nice pics, vv, especially #1!
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 7:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggo85 View Post
Another great NYC series - it's really interesting to see how New Year's Eve or the preparations for the evening looks like all around the world

Nice pics, vv, especially #1!
Thanks, maggo85!

There were many cops, too. In some corners there's a whole army of them -- literally a sea of dark blue uniform -- where I guess they were dropped off awaiting instructions.

#9. There was a gathering of so many cops at just about every corner in and around Times Square.

#10. So many, in fact...

#11. ...that they can afford to do this -- relax.

Last edited by vvcarpio; Jan 11, 2010 at 7:43 AM. Reason: Changed "gathering of them" to "gathering of so many cops" for captions-continuity