Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jan 4, 2010, 6:08 AM   #1

Default Sea Smoke in the cold = Frostr°yk

I had to look it up in a dictionary to find the English word for Frostr°yk. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_smoke and http://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frostr°yk

Sea Smoke is formed when very cold air moves over warmer water, which is the case here in Norway, every day now, with temperatures down to 5-15║F which is -10║C to -20║C. Even though I dont particularly like the cold, I must admit that it adds some increased drama to an otherwise dreary scene, like the one below.

I was driving home from one of my night-photo shoots, when I saw this big, blod-red sun coming across the river, just behind the port of Fredrikstad and some industrial park there. Scrambling out of my car, I didn't have the time to set up my tripod as the scene was changing very rapidly, so I made some fast hand-held shots in a couple of brackets.

# 1: HDR
The first one was before I reached the riverbed (I had to climb some fences and cross some omniouse looking ditches as well), with these bizarre frozene and frostcovered weeds acting like some barbed wire-fence.

# 2: HDR
Taking the second one, I had reached the edge of the river and framed some derelict wooden-docks, or what's left of it, to provide additional depth.

It's not a beautiful scene, not like Walter_C's http://forums.steves-digicams.com/hd...tmas-pier.html for instance, which is a dream-postcard. Industrial sites never are beatiful, but the dramatic light together with the sea smoke gives it som unidentifyable mood - it does to me anyway. Hope somebody likes it....?

Both pictures taken with my Panasonic Lumix DMC G1 - m4/3 camera

If you like it - tell me.
If you don't like it - tell me too.
But, don't be shy - and tell me why!

Last edited by Walter_S; Jan 4, 2010 at 6:11 AM.
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2010, 7:39 AM   #2

I love these two beautiful shots. I've been waiting for you to post pictures of your frosty environs and now I see them. On top of that, I've always loved pictures of industry -- monoliths, chimney stacks, cranes, and all -- by the river banks (I'm not sure why). The derelict docks, the sun, and the Frostr°yk (I'm glad I don't have to say it ) add to my viewing pleasure. Thanks for sharing!
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2010, 9:41 AM   #3

Great shots Walter. The second reminds me of the end of days. The world destroyed and the fires from hell. Of course it could just be another sunrise.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2010, 10:23 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Walter, 2 more lovely photos. I'm really excited that we have some people putting out some stunning work here at Steve's, it is inspirational to us all and I hope that it will encourage improvement in our shooting.

It really shows that going out in the 'uncomfortable' hours pays off getting shots like these. Spy is another is also producing many great examples of wonderful photographs where working in the late hours, cold conditions and putting in the miles to get to the location are worth it.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2010, 10:37 AM   #5

Great shots Walter. My personal preference is for #2 but both are spectacular. Keep 'em comming!!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2010, 10:39 AM   #6

Walter, your patience and attention to detail shines through once again. Can't really decide which shot I like best...both are great.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2010, 10:42 AM   #7
Super Moderator

These are wonderful.

Shot #2 is one of my favorite shots that you have shared on here lately. It is a really superb shot. lovely composition with good foreground with nice lines, great exposure and the "Frostroyk" gives it a very nice mood. wonderful image!
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2010, 11:30 AM   #8

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Excellent exposures, Walter,

The birds at the left corner - are they gulls or another sea bird species. Naturkompaniet has those double gloves and also gloves with openings for fingertips; suitable for fiddling with cameras

Those gloves don't work for me, but perhaps for others.

Especially the second picture "works for me" - great imagery

//T

Last edited by Torgny; Jan 4, 2010 at 11:38 AM.
Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2010, 2:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvcarpio View Post
...The derelict docks, the sun, and the Frostr°yk (I'm glad I don't have to say it ) add to my viewing pleasure. Thanks for sharing!
I'm glad you liked it vvcarpio - I'll post more of the cold-spell we have in Norway, as soon as possible. Thanks for your kind comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
Great shots Walter. The second reminds me of the end of days. The world destroyed and the fires from hell. Of course it could just be another sunrise.
Thank god it was only an ordinary sunrise, Bynx - Your alternative was not very tempting... BTW - Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgny View Post
...The birds at the left corner - are they gulls or another sea bird species...
Thank's Torgny!
Those are just ordinary sea-gulls, always on the lookout for some opportunity!

Old Jan 4, 2010, 3:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
Walter, 2 more lovely photos...

Thank you so much, Mark1616 - I really appreciate your kind words here. As it happens, I really do need some guidance along on my search for perfection. Ever so uncertain of what is just so-so and what is a 'keeper'. I guess it will come with experience, of which I do not have enough yet. It's really not easy to see good things and faults of onself.

Thanks again, Mark!