Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jan 6, 2010, 8:16 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_S View Post

But, having said that, I find it best to take B&W direct in the camera, instead of converting color shots into mono later on, because you can actually see the B&W-image there and then in the viewfinder / LCD and get a feeling of the balance, contrasts, values etc. etc.

You have a good point here Wally. I didn't think in those terms when I asked. But this taken into consideration, would it not be better to shoot in dual, jpg and raw, so that you have the possibility to convert the raw picture in a better converter program e.g. Photoshop? This way you might get even more out of the picture. If you still don't think that you are getting any better results, or your getting worse results, you've still got your jpg in b&w.

With regards to the colour picture it tells a more truthfull story, imo. Cold and dismal, but with gentle colours.
Alasdair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2010, 9:35 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
...Why would anyone shoot in B&W?

I know it sounds like a waste of time to do so and I do not usually shoot in B&W at all, but this was more a test of how my new camera would interpret B&W versus my own conversion from color to B&W in P. Elements. You of all people know how many ways there are of converting from color to mono, some better than others and how many traps you can fall into doing so.

The other reason I have already given in my answer to Alasdair. The possibility to check out your OFV / EFV and / or LCD - there and then (befor you push the shutter) how B&W will look in this particular scene.
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2010, 9:43 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alasdair View Post
...would it not be better to shoot in dual, jpg and raw, so that you have the possibility to convert the raw picture...
So everybody is telling me to, but for the moment, I'll stick to JPEG's and feel happy.

When I can afford a new and better PC with x Terrabytes of Hd-space and a faster CPU, then I will consider shooting in RAW. But before I buy a new PC I want a 45-200mm tele-zoom for my G1 and a Tokina 11-16 f 2,8 and a.....
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2010, 10:27 AM   #14

I would be interested to see quality difference between B&W from your G1 compared to B&W converted from Color using a few different methods (Photoshop, Silver Efex Pro etc)
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote