Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jan 5, 2010, 3:20 PM   #1

Default Snow and fog in B&W + color

The B&W panorama is not a conversion from color-shots, but were actually shot with B&W-settings on my Panasonic Lumix G1. I just had to try it. Maybe this wasn't the perfect motive for B&W but I was actually quite content with the values produced by my camera.

Mind you, I have absolutely no experience with B&W, not in digital anyway. I used to develop and enlarge my own in the Kodak Tri-X (wow! 400 Asa!!) -times (longer ago than I care to remember...) and fiddeling around in the dark-room, smelling of fix-liquid when I emerged from there. It was all a bit adventure-like and alchemystically then.... ...and film and chemicals, not to mention the paper, was not cheap!

# 1 - B&W HDR Panorama...

And if your monitor doesn't cover 1280 then there is a smaller one with maximum 1024pixels to one side.

# 2 - Color HDR Panorama. Not much color there anyway. There wasn't any, because it was overcast and there was this fog rolling in from the sea, covering up what was left of the daylight.

again, here in a smaller size with 1024pix to one side.

Quote: "Buying a camera doesn't make you a photographer. - It makes you a camera owner".
Curious about my photography?
You may look up my small portfolio on the Norwegian photo-forum: http://walter_s.foto.no/ - click - "LATEST" on left bottom of page.
You may then click any thumbnail to view the picture and click again on the displayed picture for an unobstructed full screen view. Enjoy!

Last edited by Walter_S; Jan 5, 2010 at 3:24 PM.
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2010, 3:24 PM   #2
Super Moderator

i prefer the black and white version. the color version doesn't have alot of color anyways, so it really doesn't add anything.

the black and white emphasizes the lines and textures with the excellent contrast.

the composition works for me too. the lines are good and the fog gives it a nice mood.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2010, 3:25 PM   #3

Every time I see a shot from your G1 I feel more comfortable that its my camera of choice when I can afford to pick it up. It does a great job with B&W. The detail in the snow is not bad at all.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2010, 3:27 PM   #4
Super Moderator

sorry offtopic.

The new Samsung offering (NX-10) may also be an option for you. It is expected to sell for considerably cheaper than the m4/3. and in many ways is very similar to the G1. Similar size, etc. But with a larger aps-c sensor. not sure it will equate to any better images. but should be comparable and cheaper.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2010, 3:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
i prefer the black and white version......the composition works for me too. the lines are good and the fog gives it a nice mood.
My-my!
That was fast, Hards80. Your verdict comes 4 minutes after my posting. Must be a new record, this...

Thanks a lot, fast or slow, always appreciate your opinion and comments.

Cheers!
Old Jan 5, 2010, 3:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
... It does a great job with B&W. The detail in the snow is not bad at all.
Here is the reduced left photo of the panorama in HDR. Mind you there is some vignetting (only visible on bottom as this is a crop) in the corners at full wideangle and full aperture. This vignetting is normally not so visible, but in some HDR-settings like Ultra-Contrast in DPHDR, comes out real bad!!

Attached Images

Old Jan 6, 2010, 3:09 AM   #7

These were all great pictures and were imo best in b&w. Everything looks much sharper and as Hards says the lines become more emphasized in b&w.

Just a little question in consern to shooting in b&w, doesn't the camera take the picture in colour and convert it to b&w afterwards? I do recall someone saying something, in an earlier thread, that he/ she had shot the picture in b&w, but when the RAW picture was transfered it was in colour.
Alasdair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2010, 5:21 AM   #8

Well, I wouldn't know about the last one, Al - because I have never shot in RAW before. However it seems most likely to be that way, since all takes - color or B&W - initially are RAW straight from the sensor but converted internally into JPEG's for viewing / keeping. The added time it takes to "process" RAW, when shooting RAW, is only the writing time of the bigger file-sizes to the memorycard - I think...?

But, having said that, I find it best to take B&W direct in the camera, instead of converting color shots into mono later on, because you can actually see the B&W-image there and then in the viewfinder / LCD and get a feeling of the balance, contrasts, values etc. etc.

Concerning the 2 different panoramas here - I too like the B&W, but on the other hand do not want to discard the color one, because, IMO the few subtle colors which are present are very delicate and gentle colors, giving the picture a certain fragile mood, while the B&W is more substantial.

Old Jan 6, 2010, 5:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
the color version doesn't have alot of color anyways, so it really doesn't add anything...

This is actually the first time I disagree with what you say, Hards80.

IMO the color shot - while clearly not so 'impressive' and 'substatial' as the mono - still has a certain gentle mood which is created by the few, very subtle, almost delicate colors. It does it for me, anyway.

Maybe it is wrong of me to post these shots together like this, which will automatically be seen as a contest between the two, which it isn't. If I would have posted the color-panorama by itself, I'm sure the reactions would have been different, and the picture could stand on its own.

My intentions with the two together was more of a statement to show how different the outcome and expression of moods can be if a picture is presented in color or B&W, as they were taken within minute of each other under exactly the same circumstances - not a contest between them.

Last edited by Walter_S; Jan 6, 2010 at 6:05 AM.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 7:16 AM   #10

On a side topic here. Why would anyone shoot in B&W? If you choose color you can then have a choice later to convert to B&W. But no choice if you shoot B&W.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote