Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jan 10, 2010, 10:15 AM   #1

Default Manhattan Playground

I took pictures of a playground in Manhattan last Friday -- the McCaffrey Playground on 43rd Street between 8th and 9th Avenues -- in the neighborhood called Hell's Kitchen, not too far from where Sly "Rocky" Stallone was born. It is also not too far from Times Square which is only two blocks away. Hell's Kitchen is mostly residential where I'm told starving Broadway actors and actresses live. There are many good restaurants there that do not carry the higher price tags of their fancy counterparts along Broadway.

Anyway, there are many public parks with children's playgrounds in Manhattan -- some big and some small like this one. I didn't employ any new post-processing technique with the photos here -- it's really just more of the same -- but I just wanted to share another facet of Manhattan that is not steel, concrete, and glass skyscrapers, electronic jumbotrons, or greedy Wall Street capitalism. Manhattan is many things, too. And among them are parks filled with children -- their nannies close by -- laughing and playing especially between the hours of 2 and 5 pm when school is over and their parents are not yet back from work.

#1. I think the tall fence is to prevent playthings like balls from spilling onto the streets with children chasing after them.

#2. View of one side from inside the fence.

#3. Playground with an unmistakably New York City skyline in the background.

#4. View from another side with residential buildings along 43rd Street.

#5. Closer view of a residential building.

#6. Metal slide with a light dusting of snow.

#7. Boys' and girls' bathrooms.

#8. Sign outside the fence.

C&C welcome. Thank you for looking!
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2010, 11:30 PM   #2

Hmmm. How did I miss this series of a little nook within the Big Apple. Would like to see the park on a nice day, full of happy youngsters on reprieve from their nearby apartment buildings. Nice. Thanks for sharing these.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2010, 5:49 AM   #3

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

An oasis of sorts in the middle of Manhattan...nice series! I recall getting to Gramercy Park in Manhattan--looked very much like this!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2010, 9:21 AM   #4

Thanks Walter! One of these days -- in the Spring perhaps -- I'll go there when the children are at play.

Thanks, jelpee! I don't think I've been to Gramercy Park although I've been to the area. In fact, I've been through so many parks in Manhattan by way of shortcuts for getting from point A to point B that I hardly noticed them. I think it's time I start stopping (um, oxymoron of sorts?) and "smelling the flowers". I'll make it a point to go there one day and take pictures.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 9:56 AM   #5
spy

Thank you for these plus explaining the life style. I question taking photos of kids in play to post as I know from where I live, a stranger taking photos of kids in a play park will have the police called. Here in Calgary, some guy was doing this and it made headline news several times and they never caught the guy but they did interview parents who were very disturbed and upset this was going on while their kids were playing. This one photographer was moving around from one day to another visiting play parks during play time.

I do take photos of minors at swim meets for my swim club and also post them but, for one, my main focus is our own swimmer's in the club, and two, the parents have all signed media waivers, and three, everyone at these meets know me as a photographer for the last 6 and a half years.

I know that if your going to take photos of minors and post them, you need to obtain permission from the parents, legal gardian or sports club etc...
spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2010, 10:09 AM   #6

Uh-oh you're right spy.

Early last year I stepped outside a Manhattan hospital while waiting for my wife's operation. I bought takeout lunch and went to a children's park filled with children. It felt awkward even though there were other grownups eating lunch at the park.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 10:20 PM   #7

Number 1 and 5 are great! I especially like number one. What a a wonderful street shot!
jgredline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2010, 11:19 AM   #8

Thanks, jgredline! I agree about #1 -- I think the tall iron fencing adds a lot of character to the playground.

#5 is one of those things where I turn my head, like what I see, and take a photo without bothering to figure out why.

Last edited by vvcarpio; Jan 13, 2010 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Added response to #5 image.