Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jan 19, 2010, 12:36 PM   #1
NHL

Default Lighting up a cave (... nudity warning!!!)

This WA landscape image is taken inside a cave with nothing more than a handheld flashlight painting the rocks and the model (do not click on the link if you are likely to be offended):

http://www.pbase.com/nhl/image/121231394/original.jpg

Last edited by NHL; Jan 19, 2010 at 12:38 PM.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 19, 2010, 12:39 PM   #2
Super Moderator

i am not certain this is a landscape photograph, but i do approve of the scenery

i think this is a great artistic nude. the lighting from the flashlight works really well, making the model almost glow within the cave, which i love the reflected light streaks in.

great job nhl, not something i was expecting from you, but one of my favorites you have posted.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2010, 12:45 PM   #3

I think it's a good example of nude art. (Full disclosure: I'm hetero female. I find Hustler and Penthouse offensive, but I'm not usually offended by Playboy.)

Last edited by dansamy; Jan 19, 2010 at 12:48 PM.
dansamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2010, 1:46 PM   #4
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
i am not certain this is a landscape photograph, but i do approve of the scenery
I don't know if you noticed the EXIF, but this was captured with a super wide hence there's a lot of 'scenery' painting involved (and also the very long exposure)... noticed the reflections from the small stream beside the model feet?

As a reference my 24-70 on the full-frame A900 is not wide enough for this small confine and not as interesting as the resulting image just centered around the model without the scenery!

Last edited by NHL; Jan 19, 2010 at 1:53 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 1:51 PM   #5
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansamy View Post
I think it's a good example of nude art. (Full disclosure: I'm hetero female. I find Hustler and Penthouse offensive, but I'm not usually offended by Playboy.)
Thank you for commenting... I was kind of worry about the feedback at 1st before posting
Old Jan 19, 2010, 2:06 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL View Post
I don't know if you noticed the EXIF, but this was captured with a super wide hence there's a lot of 'scenery' painting involved (and also the very long exposure)... noticed the reflections from the small stream beside the model feet?

As a reference my 24-70 on the full-frame A900 is not wide enough for this small confine and not as interesting as the resulting image just centered around the model without the scenery!
i am at work, so i couldnt really leave it up long enough to inspect much, but i just did check the exif. i had guessed it was a long exposure, but not 50 seconds! did it take alot of tries to get the exposure right from the flashlight and get a sharp picture?

yea i had saw the reflections, so i had guessed there was some water somewhere in this scene, the reflections are a nice touch.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2010, 2:43 PM   #7

The water reflection adds a very nice touch. And keeps the eye moving over the whole shot. And you can see the details of the water from the wet rock surface on the upper left side. The play between the shadow and the light complements each other and balance the photo nicely. And I think that since if was just a flash light and the light is not even, it adds to the difference shade of the shadows. Very nicely done.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 3:35 PM   #8
NHL

Thank you all

These shots were all taken on bulb (i.e. you pretty much leave the shutter open) as most dSLRs only go to 30s...

A wireless shutter release (like on the A900) is very nice, being tethered to the camera such as this D300 limits your movement in the cave so one has to 'paint' from one spot - The trick I believe is to 'paint' the model only once to limit her displacement while the rocks can be re-painted many times... as they don't move!

-> This is really cool as one never get the same exposure twice
(I bracketed using two cameras set at different apertures)

Last edited by NHL; Jan 19, 2010 at 3:44 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 6:18 PM   #9

Outstanding color and detail. I dont think there is a pixel I would change. The dark spot lower right balances the opposite corner. The texture of the large rock left is excellent. The reflections of the water on the cave walls -- outstanding. And the color of the model is spot on. She is also pretty sharp too considering your exposure time. Just excellent.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2010, 7:37 PM   #10

Nice picture. But her foot looks dis-proportionately large. Sorry for being critical!
rlewis0083 is offline   Reply With Quote