Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jan 19, 2010, 10:04 PM   #1

Default Winter Storm

This last weekend I took our family into the Sierra foothills to a B&B in small town. It was a wonderfully relaxing couple of days. As we came back from our weekend, just ahead of a major winter storm, I stopped to take a few pictures of a snowy meadow. BTW, in the 24hrs since we left 23 inches of snow has fallen in that little sierra town. We were in my daughters front-wheel- drive Honda CRV and though we had no trouble in the little snow we saw while we were there, I am glad we left when we did.

Cheers,
Steve

Last edited by smac; Jan 30, 2014 at 11:34 AM.
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 19, 2010, 10:05 PM   #2

Here is a small creek we passed on the way down out of the mountains.

Last edited by smac; Jan 30, 2014 at 11:34 AM.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 12:56 AM   #3

I like number 2 the most, the snow makes the green stand out on the pines. And the water balance out the white of the snow.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 3:29 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Looks like a nice place to stop and good job you didn't hang around much longer as I'm sure being stuck there wouldn't be so nice.

I like the composition in both just a shame the the snow is totally blown out so there is no detail.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2010, 1:46 PM   #5

Thanks Mark, You make an excellent point. In my hurry to pull over on a two lane road and jump out into the rain/snow to get the shots and coupled with my discovery later that I had my camera set to Aperture mode instead of Program, I didn't really consider the stark contrast between the snow and the other landscape.
Next time, next time. Oh wel,l it gives me an excuse to return and fine tune the exposure.

Cheers,
Steve
Old Jan 22, 2010, 7:32 PM   #6

SMAC,
Lovely shots, I can empathize with your dilemna re the quick and dirty vs no shot. I think we've all been there. Even considering that nice captures.
Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2010, 12:36 AM   #7

Thanks Selvin, I appreciate the moral support.
It's seems that we never stop learning in this hobby. I suppose that's true about most things we love.

All the best,

Steve
Old Jan 23, 2010, 11:38 AM   #8

"I had my camera set to Aperture mode instead of Program"

i shoot in Av mode 95% of the time, and the rest manual... never use Program... it's all in where you meter for the shot. but as Selvin says, we've all had to make the choice between grabbing a quick shot with minimal set-up, or getting no shot at all, so i'm glad you got these.

i really like the second one, though... the snowy trees and the river give a real "wilderness" feel.. 23" snowfall in 24 hours? yikes!!
squirl033 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2010, 4:35 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac View Post
Thanks Mark, You make an excellent point. In my hurry to pull over on a two lane road and jump out into the rain/snow to get the shots and coupled with my discovery later that I had my camera set to Aperture mode instead of Program, I didn't really consider the stark contrast between the snow and the other landscape.
Next time, next time. Oh wel,l it gives me an excuse to return and fine tune the exposure.

Cheers,
Steve
You are not the first and won't be the last to do it. I've had shots with blown highlights and it is so annoying if you can't get the shot again easily.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2010, 6:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirl033 View Post
"I had my camera set to Aperture mode instead of Program"

i shoot in Av mode 95% of the time, and the rest manual... never use Program... it's all in where you meter for the shot. but as Selvin says, we've all had to make the choice between grabbing a quick shot with minimal set-up, or getting no shot at all, so i'm glad you got these.

i really like the second one, though... the snowy trees and the river give a real "wilderness" feel.. 23" snowfall in 24 hours? yikes!!

Thanks Rocky, I shot the whole weekend in Aperture mode and wondered why my shutter speed never went above 1/80 sec. What a goof.
But, you're right. They all came out. I did play with the metering to adjust the exposures, especially when I was outside shooting my daughter and her fiancÚ building snowmen. I guess I intuitively new something needed adjusting it just didn't dawn on me why.

Thanks again and I'm glad you like the shots. My wife was hell bent on me getting some snowy forest landscape shots and I'm glad that I was able too.

BTW, by Wednesday they had over 5 and a half feet. I heard is was like driving through a tunnel on main street, what with all the snow shoved into the center and sides by the plows. Hehehe... We really did make it out just in time.

Cheers,
Steve