Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Feb 4, 2010, 6:18 AM   #1

Default Fredriksten festning (fortress)

I guess that the Norwegians and Swedes have been fighting each other as long as the Scots and English have. Thankfully today they only fight each other through jokes. But if you go back in time to say the 17th century the fighting was a little more than sharp tongues.

A short history of the fortress:

Many a treaty were signed and many broken. Fredriksten fortress was a result of a broken treaty between Denmark (that Norway was occupied by of for approx 400 years) and Sweden. This treaty was called “Treaty of Roskilde” (1658) and gave Sweden Bohus (which was part of Norway up until then) where the previous boarder fortress lay. This treaty was negotiated in bad faith. September that year the governor of Bohuslän (formally Bohus) tried to invade Norway with 1.500 men. The inhabitants of Halden put up a brave fight and the invasion was unsuccessful. Swedes, being Swedes really wanted Norway so 5 months later they tried again, but this time Norway (Denmark) was ready for them and again they had to go home with a broken pride.

Determent as they were the Swede would not give up their dream of occupying Norway. Halden was to be their base for their attack on Christiania (now Oslo). The Swedes tried an unsuccessful storm of the fortress and after that they tried a siege. The inhabitants of Halden begged for surrender, but the commandant had faith in the garrison. A month later the Swedes were retreating back to Bohuslän.
The existing star shaped fortress was built in the period 1661 – 1675. There were upgrades of the fortress from 1679 – 1700 with outer fortifications. The fortress lost all military significance in 1905.

The fortress from Halden

A'm not sure what this cottage was used for, but is was rather nice imo.

A couple of cannons place close to the yellow cottage.

The first entrance to the inner parts of the fortress. If you look through the entrance you can just make out the closest cannon above

This is the final entrance into the inner parts of the fortress. If you look through the entrance you'll see the entrance above.

Three cannons from the topp of the fortress

I have more and will post them when I have time to process them.
Alasdair is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 4, 2010, 7:39 AM   #2

I enjoyed the tour from the warm comfort of my desk. The historical background you provided adds to the views. Looking forward to more of the same.

Regards
bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2010, 10:12 AM   #3

Yes, an interesting history lesson to go with the nice pictures. Thanks.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2010, 10:20 AM   #4

Bluenose and Walter thank you for taking a look at my pictures and reading a little about the fortress. It's nice to know that you liked the pictures too.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 12:16 PM   #5
Super Moderator

very nice tour alasdair. nice pics and good explanations. enjoyable.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2010, 2:08 PM   #6

Thank you Dustin.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 4:46 PM   #7

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alasdair View Post
I guess that the Norwegians and Swedes have been fighting each other as long as the Scots and English have. Thankfully today they only fight each other through jokes. But if you go back in time to say the 17th century the fighting was a little more than sharp tongues.

A short history of the fortress:

Many a treaty were signed and many broken. Fredriksten fortress was a result of a broken treaty between Denmark (that Norway was occupied by of for approx 400 years) and Sweden. This treaty was called “Treaty of Roskilde” (1658) and gave Sweden Bohus (which was part of Norway up until then) where the previous boarder fortress lay. This treaty was negotiated in bad faith. September that year the governor of Bohuslän (formally Bohus) tried to invade Norway with 1.500 men. The inhabitants of Halden put up a brave fight and the invasion was unsuccessful. Swedes, being Swedes really wanted Norway so 5 months later they tried again, but this time Norway (Denmark) was ready for them and again they had to go home with a broken pride.

Determent as they were the Swede would not give up their dream of occupying Norway. Halden was to be their base for their attack on Christiania (now Oslo). The Swedes tried an unsuccessful storm of the fortress and after that they tried a siege. The inhabitants of Halden begged for surrender, but the commandant had faith in the garrison. A month later the Swedes were retreating back to Bohuslän.
The existing star shaped fortress was built in the period 1661 – 1675. There were upgrades of the fortress from 1679 – 1700 with outer fortifications. The fortress lost all military significance in 1905.

The fortress from Halden

A'm not sure what this cottage was used for, but is was rather nice imo.

A couple of cannons place close to the yellow cottage.

The first entrance to the inner parts of the fortress. If you look through the entrance you can just make out the closest cannon above

This is the final entrance into the inner parts of the fortress. If you look through the entrance you'll see the entrance above.

Three cannons from the topp of the fortress

I have more and will post them when I have time to process them.

Alasdair,

Excellent pictures and survey. When spring comes I'll be going there. I'll come with 100% peaceful intensions so I hope I won't get the same treatment as Karl Xll

Joke aside, you are lucky to live in such a beautiful place. You are the third, but, I hope, not the last from Fredrikstad to post beautiful pictures here. Thank you, Al

Torgny
Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2010, 5:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgny View Post
Alasdair,

Excellent pictures and survey. When spring comes I'll be going there. I'll come with 100% peaceful intensions so I hope I won't get the same treatment as Karl Xll

Joke aside, you are lucky to live in such a beautiful place. You are the third, but, I hope, not the last from Fredrikstad to post beautiful pictures here. Thank you, Al

Torgny
Thank you T. for you comments and reading the short version of it's history. I don't think that Karl XII is one to have as ones role model, he had a tendance to use weapons as means of persuasion instead of words. He was what one can call a war king.

You and all Swedes (and others of course) with peaceful intentions are welcome to this country. It is still free and vast. I only wish I had more time to travel and show this forum what diversity Norway has to offer, both in landscape and culture. It would be nice if more people in various countries could show us their corners of the country they live in. Maybe there should be a forum where those who just wish to show various cultures or landscapes can do this, without having their pictures criticised?
Old Feb 5, 2010, 10:59 AM   #9

Here are a few more. Next time I'll make sure that the weather is not so grey and dismal. What you don't see is that it's -10C and blowing a Northernly breez.

This is the upper most cannon, not one of the three previous cannons. The reason I took this one is because of it's vantagepoint.

This is taken from the muzzle of the above cannon with a Tokina 11-16 f2.8

And a panorama from the same vantagepoint

Hope you enjoy the tour de Fredriksten fortress.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 11:03 AM   #10

Nice tour! Thanks.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote