Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Feb 22, 2010, 9:35 PM   #11

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordo View Post
The ethical (and intellectual) problems are, to me, more on the side of the observer than that of the photographer. The fact is no picture is real at all, be it journalism or art, nor is intented to be. Photography implies first an appropriation and then a re-presentation of reality. Everything in between should be admitted as long as the viewer is aware that the photo is not the reality. In the post Big Brother society, as ours, that naiveté is insufferable.

Ordo,

Just want your words to be readable also with a black background. Had to highlight your reply to make it visible. Also other of your replies are not visible against black background

//T

Last edited by Torgny; Feb 22, 2010 at 9:39 PM.
Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 9:26 AM   #12

Hey. whats happening? I will check it.

Edit: I can see my replies in both themes...

Last edited by Ordo; Feb 23, 2010 at 9:28 AM.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 10:00 AM   #13
Administrator

Actually, you shouldn't be able to see this reply using both themes:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/la...ml#post1054187

Here's the issue.... If you specifically select black text (versus using the defaults, which handles the transitions between themes OK), you end up with black on black text with the dark theme (making it unreadable to anyone using that theme).

That post uses black text (hence the problem if someone is using the Dark Theme).

I can fix it if you want (by just removing the bbcode for black color text in it).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 10:05 AM   #14

I edited JIm. Thanks. I don't know what happened. May be I shouldn't use Removing Format?
Old Feb 23, 2010, 10:11 AM   #15
Administrator

It can happen from a variety of things. Usually, it's just when a poster selects a text color other than the defaults (that looks OK with the New Light theme, but not with the Dark Theme).

But, it can also occur if you copy and paste text from somewhere else. It's a quirk with the way we're allowing more than one theme here, with the black background used for the Dark Theme choice causing most of the issues when it does happen (which is not that often). That theme was originally designed to match the colors of the main site (which also used a black background at the time), and it does cause issues trying to allow more than one theme choice with the forums. We could just eliminate that choice (Dark Theme) now, and eliminate the problem at the same time. But, I actually prefer to use it myself. So, an occasional issue with text colors is not that big of a deal to me (since most members just use the default text colors when making posts). LOL

IOW, as long as you don't try to select a specific color, then you don't override either theme's defaults (no bbcode tags for colors are inserted using the defaults when making posts), and text looks OK with both themes. But, if you do try to select a color, then it may not work correctly in a different theme (especially if you select Black, since the Dark Theme uses a Black background, making that text unreadable when someone else is using that Theme).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 9:02 PM   #16

I hope the Dark theme isnt eliminated. It is the original one and I prefer to see the black behind the photos. The black helps with color and brightness and keeps the photos more neutral. A white background will change the brightness and contrast somewhat.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 11:29 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
I hope the Dark theme isnt eliminated. It is the original one and I prefer to see the black behind the photos. The black helps with color and brightness and keeps the photos more neutral. A white background will change the brightness and contrast somewhat.
+1. No doubt about it.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 1:23 PM   #18

Manipulation of pictures has always gone on, just that Ps makes it
a lot easier to do than messing around in a darkroom. I use it all the
time, its just another tool to get the image i want. Sometimes that
is impossible to get straight out of the camera

My flickr
Rob_W is offline   Reply With Quote