Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Feb 22, 2010, 11:00 AM   #1

Default Mild Winter Weekend

We had very mild winter weather this weekend. Temperature was in the 40s and there were very few clouds. The weekend was practically all sun.

When we get warm weather like this in the middle of winter, people naturally take advantage and go outdoors. My wife and I drove around our county to take pictures. Specifically, we planned for the train crossing a rail bridge in Salisbury Mills at sunset.

#1. Train crossing the rail bridge towards the station at Salisbury Mills.

#2. Zoomed shot of the train.

#3. Rail bridge viewed from the other (east) side.

#4. Church we saw on the way to Salisbury Mills.

#5. Winding Hills Park in Montgomery.

#6. We don't know what this is in Winding Hills. It may be an electrical enclosure that is no longer in use -- it still has a "danger" sign posted -- or an old gazebo that is on the verge of collapsing.

C&C welcome. Thank you for looking!
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 22, 2010, 1:19 PM   #2

I might be wrong but I believe #6 is a discarded silo dome/roof. Here in Lancaster, PA I see plenty of these way up on top of 80 to 100 foot farm silos. The triangular shape on the left side of the roof looks like the cover for the steps farmers use to climb to the top of these silo's. It looks like someone is recycling it as some sort of pen.
Love your images...

Last edited by woodsense; Feb 22, 2010 at 1:20 PM. Reason: added more text.
woodsense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 1:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsense View Post
I might be wrong but I believe #6 is a discarded silo dome/roof. Here in Lancaster, PA I see plenty of these way up on top of 80 to 100 foot farm silos. The triangular shape on the left side of the roof looks like the cover for the steps farmers use to climb to the top of these silo's. It looks like someone is recycling it as some sort of pen.
Love your images...
That is a very interesting narrative to accompany me and my wife's portfolio! Thank you for sharing! Thank you, too, for your compliment. And I also get the honor of being the recipient of your first post. Welcome to steves-digicams.com!
Old Feb 22, 2010, 1:33 PM   #4

Nice contrast to your "usual" city shots.... really nice series, like #3 the most!

Beautiful scenery and very nice colors... and the "thing" in your last shot really looks weird

2 x EOS 6D | 24/1.4 ART | 35/1.4 ART | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 135/2L
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 1:49 PM   #5

Thanks a lot, maggo85. My wife took the photo of the "thing" . When she was taking it, she told me she was thinking of the at-at walker (she didn't know what it was called) in the movie, "The Empire Strikes Back".
Old Feb 22, 2010, 3:00 PM   #6

I very much like #4. if you could just clone the cable on the right...
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 6:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordo View Post
I very much like #4. if you could just clone the cable on the right...
Thanks, Ordo. I removed the cable. I agree, it looks much better now.

#7.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 6:42 AM   #8

Much better... the cable was really distracting if I look at the shot now without the cable

2 x EOS 6D | 24/1.4 ART | 35/1.4 ART | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 135/2L
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 9:51 AM   #9

Thanks, maggo85.

I used to ride the train that went above the rail bridge to go to work. The view from up there is just spectacular. In the winter you’d see snow and in the fall you’d see colorful leaves.

The train actually slows down to maybe half its normal 60-65 mph speed when crossing the rail bridge -- I suppose as a safety precaution -- and so gives passengers opportunity to savor the view. But from the ground where we took the pictures, the train seemed to move pretty fast that we managed to shoot just a few bracketed sets.

My camera setting was actually all wrong when I shot #1. We arrived early so we took some photos under the rail bridge first. When we realized the time, we hurriedly drove about 1000 feet to where we can get a good view of the rail bridge, saw the train crossing, and so jumped out of the car and started shooting.

Prior to #1, I was shooting pictures of the sky so my shutter speed was set at 1/2000th of a second. I forgot about the setting (there wasn’t time to change settings, anyway), so the shots came out very dark. Good thing there’s DPHDR to brighten things up a bit -- including my day.

#8.

The ground under both sides of the rail bridge is owned by the county and so is open to the public. There is also a hill you can climb to get a closer view of the rail bridge.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 8:15 PM   #10

That church shot is a classic especially with the cable removed.
Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote