Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jul 27, 2010, 9:00 PM   #21
spy

Yes Bynx, everything you need to know is in the article. Copy everything in it and you will have amazing shots.

I'm guessing that the brown colour is one of two things. 1 - your too close or took the shot from within the town or city you live and the brown colour is just light pollution. Drive at least 40 minutes away from any town or city and set up again. 2 - set your wb to auto.

If your wanting to see celestial colours, 1 - your sensor has to be good enough to record it - 2, you MUST use a 2.8 lens - 3, drive to a very dark place where there is NO light pollution - 4, NO MOON - 5, ISO's 1600 for amateur camera bodies and 4000 for pro bodies and lastly - 6, 25 to 30 second shutter. If you can wrangle up all of this, you'll see celestial colour and a zillion stars then pair it all up with a great foreground light painted subject.

Cheers!

Kevin
spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2010, 8:29 AM   #22

Well my Nikon D1X isnt going to do the trick. On top of that when I went down to the lake last nite what do I see but a big orange ball coming up from the horizon. Of all the days for a full moon. Is it possible to get one of those things that telescopes fit onto that revolves with the earth. Then you could take really long exposures and the stars would remain pinpoints instead of lines?
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2010, 9:39 AM   #23
spy

Bynx, I think your looking for this. If you do a lot of searching you may find other models. I have found a unit with tracking motor for around $400. I'll have to retrace my steps to the place in the States that is making them.
http://www.samirkharusi.net/skymemo.html
Old Jul 28, 2010, 11:36 AM   #24

Well I guess its how serious you take your photography. $1200 is no chump change but to get the results it is capable of producing it would be worth it. Certainly enables one to take the kind of shots not many can produce. Thanks for the info.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 7:59 AM   #25

Well I had every intension of getting her done......but when I got out there, the moon came up and the clouds rolled in and I had forgotten my remote. Maybe tonite.
emptyquiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2010, 8:39 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by emptyquiver View Post
Well I had every intension of getting her done......but when I got out there, the moon came up and the clouds rolled in and I had forgotten my remote. Maybe tonite.
every day you wait, there will be less moon. i'm prepping for the aug 7/8 weekend when i'll try for meteor shots. i have those warming pads to reduce the risk of dew. i'll need to get up one night and test them this weekend.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2010, 10:04 AM   #27

Just a dumb question here. Since my camera only goes to ISO 800, but my lens is f1.8, if I require 2.8 lens then wouldnt 1.8 give me the equivalent of ISO 1600?
Old Jul 30, 2010, 11:08 AM   #28
spy

Not dumb......1.8 is way better for letting light in but it's a zoom, probably a 50mm?? You will want a wide angle to get Milky Way shots. You can still use your 50mm of course, but you won't get that nice wide angle look.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 1:50 PM   #29

Question Spy....can I use my 35 1.8 or would I be better off with my 10-24 3.5. Our should I be looking at something else altogether.
emptyquiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2010, 2:40 PM   #30

My f1.8 is a Sigma 28mm. That is wide angle enough isnt it?