Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Mar 7, 2010, 9:28 AM   #11

Everyone already took my words....STUNNING! Once again, you didn't disappoint when I excitedly saw your post
Shutterbug74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2010, 9:41 AM   #12

Too beautiful!!! But, I see you use a very top notch camera... I presume you have a good lense, too. Right??? Daft question, sorry. Anywhoooo... very nice pictures! Love the composition. All the best. Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2010, 12:08 PM   #13
spy

Thank you fellow photographers for commenting. I always enjoy reading them and am glad to answer your questions.
1. Littlejohn, as this scene is just too large to capture in one photo, I had to take 10 from the most downward angle to the highest angle I wanted which was to show a bit of sky, moving the camera just a bit for each frame shot. It would be ideal to shoot it as one but thanks to 'photo stitching' you can take a series of photos that, when put together, includes the entire scene.

The Canon 5d models come with a "full frame" sensor meaning the sensor captures a larger scene 'in-camera' than the 20, 30, 40, and 50d lines which have a cropped 1.6 sensor. That being said, when I was ready to upgrade from my 20d model, the 5dMII was an exciting moment for the full frame sensor. This shot was taken with the 24 - 70mm 2.8 lens which is as wide as the 17 - 85mm on my Canon 20d. The next lens for my bag is the 16 - 35mm 2.8 which I hope to get this year some time.

Thats a lot of rambling and hope it didn't confuse you. The point is, if you like shooting landscape shots, go W I D E.....as wide as you can, and if that means taking several shots with what ever lens your using then stitching them with a stitch program is what you'll use.

Here's a 'tip' for taking multiple shots of a scene to capture the whole wide angle of it.

Lets say you could take 2 or 3 shots of a scene to capture the whole thing, my suggestion is to take 10 or more shots moving the camera in small amounts rather than large as you will experience less distortion in the "stitching process".

Bynx, the sun had set a couple hours prior to this shot as this is pretty much a dark, night scene your looking at. The glare in the reflection is the distortion of the water falling behind the ice. I've seen a shot of this from someone else actually standing on clear ice in the middle of the pool. I think that would be more in early February when temps are around the -30c range.

Torgny, I'd have to say that my shots are of an "artistic nature" as my original shot is just to set up the basis for the final image. It is a 'means to an end' for me. I wish to express mood and depth with my photos which I'm just not able to do with the original shot. With each shot that I wish to pp, I look at it for a while, looking to see what is distracting that can be cropped out; look for highlight and shadow areas which can be enhanced, giving more of a sense of depth etc....I wish to express a poetic, artistic and emotional sense to the viewers that look at my work. I've attached the originals for you to see the difference. NOTHING is done to these but resize to post here.

Shutterbug, your excitement makes me smile.

Ned, my wide angle lens presently is the 24 - 70 2.8. It's a great walk a bout lens!
Attached Images

spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2010, 10:29 PM   #14

Hey thank you so much for that explanation....very nice of you!!!
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 12:39 PM   #15

I'm lost for words here - but astounding, monumental and spectacular come first to my mind...

You are a real artist, Kevin - and I would like to sign up to one of your work-shops - If you only lived in Europe (preferably Norway)!!!

Thank you for sharing - not only for these exquisite pices of photographic art, but also for your thoughts in the process, your experience and knowledge!

Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 2:09 PM   #16

Ohhh...you are that Kevin
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 4:53 PM   #17
spy

I am honoured by all your comments and appreciate every one. Thank you.
spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2010, 12:31 AM   #18

Wow... thank you again for sharing such great photographies and all the informations about shooting these pics!

2 x EOS 6D | 24/1.4 ART | 35/1.4 ART | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 135/2L
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote