Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Mar 7, 2010, 1:16 PM   #1

Default Sky on fire

It's been a little while since I've posted a picture and it's not because I don't want too, but because I have very little time to take pictures, process them and then post them. I still hope you enjoy the ones I do post.

I haven't done much processing on this one, so the colours are quite true. It was a magical evening and almost an unbelievable sunset.

C&c most welcome and thank you for having a look.

Alasdair is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2010, 1:24 PM   #2

Hejsan! Nice picture! Love the colours! It was -22 C this morning in central Finland, glad you can see water instead of everything being totally frozen. Again, beautiful shot! Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2010, 1:39 PM   #3

Default Ay!!!

I can vouch for these intense colors, because I was there, together with Alasdair, yesterday evening. It was quite a 'normal' sunset with the 'ususal' yellow and orange tones to the sky as the sun went behind that little island - but then!

Halve an hour after the sun disappeared, the sky lit up with this incredible strong reddish tint on the horizon. It was magic! As if the sky was on fire on the other side of the Oslofjord. We stood in the cold, out there on the coast, the snow looked eery steely blue and the horizon all around us was glowing orange-red.

Well done Alasdair - you framed this one really good! Wished you got that little swirly-cloud at the top of the frame.

After that, I dare not to post my own pictures any more....

Last edited by Walter_S; Mar 7, 2010 at 1:41 PM.
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2010, 1:40 PM   #4

Great shot. Just a big too much blue to balance the red for me.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2010, 7:20 PM   #5

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alasdair View Post
It's been a little while since I've posted a picture and it's not because I don't want too, but because I have very little time to take pictures, process them and then post them. I still hope you enjoy the ones I do post.

I haven't done much processing on this one, so the colours are quite true. It was a magical evening and almost an unbelievable sunset.

C&c most welcome and thank you for having a look.

Al,

About time Wondered where I'd seen that kind of sky before. Then it came as a lightening; master painter Edvard Munch. This is a munchian sky

http://images.google.se/images?hl=sv...art=18&ndsp=18

Visited the Munch Museum in Oslo once, in the context of reading "Sult" by another Norwegian master; the writer Knut Hamsun

What do you say? (munchian sky, I mean - my own expression)

Thanks

Torgny

PS

If Edvard had been there doing some grafitti, tags, on some cliffs; "Munch was here"; I would have believed it.

Last edited by Torgny; Mar 7, 2010 at 7:24 PM.
Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2010, 7:30 PM   #6

Beautiful photo Alasdair! I love the colors!

Bob
bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2010, 8:44 PM   #7
Super Moderator

gorgeous colors alasdair. really a beautiful picture.

i agree with bynx that a little crop off the bottom will keep the focus on that gorgeous sky.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2010, 10:25 PM   #8

pretty darn awesome!!!!!!
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 3:15 AM   #9

Absolutely stunning, Al!! Sensational colors! Maybe I had composed it a bit different... 2/3 sky and 1/3 snow/water?

2 x EOS 6D | 24/1.4 ART | 35/1.4 ART | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 135/2L
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 6:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgny View Post
Al,

About time Wondered where I'd seen that kind of sky before. Then it came as a lightening; master painter Edvard Munch. This is a munchian sky

http://images.google.se/images?hl=sv...art=18&ndsp=18

Visited the Munch Museum in Oslo once, in the context of reading "Sult" by another Norwegian master; the writer Knut Hamsun

What do you say? (munchian sky, I mean - my own expression)

Thanks

Torgny

PS

If Edvard had been there doing some grafitti, tags, on some cliffs; "Munch was here"; I would have believed it.
Thank you T. You are spot on when it comes to Munch. I didn't mention him because I think he is way too depressive, at times revolting, expressing his views on reality. So I didn't want to compare this lovely sunset with something depressive. But now you have given us names to a colour "Torgny blue" (from a picture Walter_S posted) and a sky "Munchian sky".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
gorgeous colors alasdair. really a beautiful picture.

i agree with bynx that a little crop off the bottom will keep the focus on that gorgeous sky.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
Great shot. Just a big too much blue to balance the red for me.
I argued with myself (don't do this at home when others can hear) about this and then reasoned with the rule of three. Thank you very much for commenting and expressing your views. I'm glad that you liked the picture, except for a wee bit too much blue.

Markus
John
Bob
Walter
Ned

Thank you for your very kind words.

Btw Walter, from what I've seen of your work I doubt you have anything to worry about. And I'm going to work on a picture with the swirling cloud, when I find time. But please, if you get yours finished before I do, share it with the rest of us.
Alasdair is offline   Reply With Quote