Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Mar 8, 2010, 9:42 AM   #1
spy

Default Season of "Brown"

We are in our season of everything looking brown and to most people and well known and established photographers, it does not excite the senses....except for one. Can you guess who?
Attached Images

spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2010, 10:09 AM   #2

Very dramatic! I love the sprinkle of stars with a brighter glow near the horizon on the second pic.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 10:21 AM   #3

Too good! As usual. Many thanks. Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 12:59 PM   #4

WOW. I'm sorry, that's all I can say - your work is just so stunning Kevin!!

2 x EOS 6D | 24/1.4 ART | 35/1.4 ART | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 135/2L
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 1:08 PM   #5

When my eyes laid upon those two shots I actually shed a tear. Man, they are something else. That right shot I want on my wall. Now if those stars are real, how are you able to get so many with their dimness of light to shine so bright without them being affected by the earth's rotation and streaking into short arced lines instead of pinpoints of light?
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 3:56 PM   #6
spy

Glad they passed for you all and thanks for commenting!
Bynx, you ask a very good question and again, I'm happy to help you out with this.

All the stars here are real, nothing added. In fact you can see the Andromeda Galaxy (http://www.solstation.com/x-objects/andromeda.htm) which is the bright spot just a half inch above and just to the left of the top of the tree. In order to get their "dimness to shine" and to also have the camera's sensor record all those stars you need a wide angle 2.8 lens, high ISO's and long shutter speed BUT no longer than 30 seconds.

This was shot at 24mm, ISO 3200 at 25 seconds long. If your shutter is open past 30 seconds, you will start to notice star trailing due to the earth's rotation.

If your camera is in the Canon line up of the Rebel, the 20, 30, 40, and 50d's or Nikon's d60, 80, 90 ect....Then do not go above ISO 1600. If you have the 5d line or better or Nikon's d300, 700 or better then you can push the ISO's much higher to 4000 and those stars will just shine like you've never seen them before!
Old Mar 8, 2010, 4:33 PM   #7
Super Moderator

kevin,

stunning shots again.

i really love the 2nd shot. the dramatic sky, the hint of details in the foreground. just a stunner! i dont really have words to convey the feelings from that one. but i think that is about as good of compliment in itself as i can give.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 9:33 PM   #8

Spy, I think you should move to Ontario....sure we're a little flat in the South end compared to Banff, etc...and we don't have the same stunning scenery until you head North to Muskoka/Algonquin area, but then I could take a class!!!

Again you amaze us all. I also can't tell you how much I appreciate your explinations.
Shutterbug74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 9:47 PM   #9
spy

Well maybe, I'll entertain moving to Ontario but only after thinking of moving to Finland... or is it Norway? no wait it's Europe...oh, i don't know. I'm being pulled in so many directions!