Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Mar 9, 2010, 2:51 PM   #11

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Eetu,

Wonderful picture with a birch tree, national tree of Finland. A study in light

Torgny
Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2010, 3:13 PM   #12

Thanks, Torgny!

Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2010, 2:47 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eetu View Post
...Remember, this is only photo from my Nokia N95... I wish it would have done justice to the sparkle of sunlight through the trees and branches again...
I think you are attributing too much credit to the phone, Ned, and not to enough to the photographer, yourself. One step to the right, and the bright sun would have stopped down the exposure a little too much, losing detail in the trees and muddying the snow; one step to the left and the sun would have been hidden behind the tree, so the exposure would have been automatically increased, losing the detail in the snow. You got the positioning of the sun just right.

Or does your 'phone' have exposure compensation you can adjust yourself? I speak with some feeling, having taken dozens of bracketed versions of such scenes 3 weeks ago, when we had a snowy, gloriously sunny few days, attempting to capture such a shot.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2010, 3:06 AM   #14

Hiya, Alan! Greetings there in Chester... I moved here from Plymouth. Yes, my phone has exposure compensation. I did monkey around with it a bit... but it was so freezing cold, I wish I could have taken more time... also, I didn't want to keep my wife waiting too much longer. This photo was the best out of 6. To be honest with ya, I am one of those... if I see a scene that I like, I might take between 3 - 7 shots. With the Pentax K-7 I am going to buy... that number might go higher.

Anyway, this was the BEST exposure of 6 or 7 exposures that I have on my Nokia N95 camera. The light going through the frost was breath taking... just wish I could have recorded it on digital.

Many kind thank, Alan, for your encouraging words and advice. Please feel free to share any constructive criticisms of pictures in the future. I learn best from mistakes and encouraging ways to do things better. All the best there back in England.

Ned
Old Mar 10, 2010, 6:04 AM   #15

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
. One step to the right, and the bright sun would have stopped down the exposure a little too much, losing detail in the trees and muddying the snow; one step to the left and the sun would have been hidden behind the tree, so the exposure would have been automatically increased, losing the detail in the snow. You got the positioning of the sun just right.

Alan,

That's a great analysis of the back lighting predicament and possibilities. Do you have some pictures?

Eetu,

Why don't you hurry up with your new camera. With such clear eyes it will be interesting to follow your threads

Torgny

Last edited by Torgny; Mar 10, 2010 at 6:40 AM.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 6:17 AM   #16

Hej, Torgny... thanks... I am waiting for the those jokers at the tax office... My accountant says they owe me 1300 euros!

Hope those dogs are treating you well... did you get my message about the one dog?

Ned
Old Mar 10, 2010, 6:18 AM   #17

Yes, Alan, Torgny is right... I should have asked the same... do you have some photos you could share? Cheers. Ned
Old Mar 10, 2010, 6:32 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eetu View Post
Hej, Torgny... thanks... I am waiting for the those jokers at the tax office... My accountant says they owe me 1300 euros!

Hope those dogs are treating you well... did you get my message about the one dog?

Ned

Eetu,

No, can you send it again. I can give some tips on this breed if you want

By the way, what about making this thread a temporary backlighting section of the forum?

I have a folder with pictures of that kind, practically useless because of ... well, many reasons. I could need some advice

Your Nokia phone picture here is great. I can see that when I browse through my folders

Torgny
Attached Images

Last edited by Torgny; Mar 10, 2010 at 6:39 AM.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 6:49 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgny View Post
Eetu,

No, can you send it again. I can give some tips on this breed if you want

By the way, what about making this thread a temporary backlighting section of the forum?

I have a folder with pictures of that kind, practically useless because of ... well, many reasons. I could need some advice

Your Nokia phone picture here is great. I can see that when I browse through my folders

Torgny
Hei Torgny, I am still "new" to this forum... How does one make a thread a "temporary backlighting section" of the forum? Sorry to sound so daft. By the way... and this might sound like heresy to some... but I did experiment with the flash on my camera. The Nokia N95 uses a Carl Zeiss Opitic tessar 2.8/5.6... 5 Megapixels.

Thanks for your photo... There just is so much Nordic beauty... even here in Finland... I know NORWAY seems to have a monopoly... but Finland and Sweden can hold their own.

Thanks.

Ned
Old Mar 10, 2010, 4:17 PM   #20

Ned,

I'd recommend Nothern Norway. Very exotic. Either by car on the winding roads, often following the fjords, or by the long tour boat "Hurtigruten"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurtigruten

Lofoten Archipelago and North Cape (Nordkapp) Finland and Sweden has nothing to compare with

Been there up north a couple of times. Exotic is the name. Personally I'm more of a Finnish or Norwegian swede than a Swedish swede if that makes sense

I just ment if it was ok for others to post in your thread. Generally of course backlighted sceneries are challenges, especially if you're the single exposure kind of photographer; an endangered species nowadays

//T